Appleworks prints only first page

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks prints only first page

Postby guest » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:17 pm

Hi All

I have this strange problem with AW6 on Jaguar.

I had a long document which I had to split in smaller documents (1 document per chapter).

Since then, AW only prints the first page of each document.

Of course I checked the print dialog box to make sure I was not asking only for page 1...

Any clues how to solve this?

Clément Topping

Re: Appleworks prints only first page

Postby haumann » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:04 pm

guest wrote:Hi All

I had a long document which I had to split in smaller documents (1 document per chapter).

Of course I checked the print dialog box to make sure I was not asking only for page 1...

Clément Topping

Open a new (blank) WP document and drag the icon of one of your chapter files to the document window. If that one prints normally, save the file and do the same with the rest of your chapters.

John@was
haumann

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:45 am

haumann wrote:
guest wrote:Hi All

Clément Topping

Open a new (blank) WP document and drag the icon of one of your chapter files to the document window. If that one prints normally, save the file and do the same with the rest of your chapters.

John@was

Thanks, I did just that and it fix the problem, partially.

I eventually tracked the problem down to the fact that page numbering doesn't start on page 1 (picking up from last page of previous document).

I believe that the heart of the problem is linked to the "Document" dialog box, When page numbering is set to start on 1, everything prints fine. When it is set to start on say, page 22, picking up from previous document, the document prints only page 1.

Is there a solution to this.

Thanks again.

Clément Topping

Postby haumann » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:21 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks, I did just that and it fix the problem, partially.

I eventually tracked the problem down to the fact that page numbering doesn't start on page 1 (picking up from last page of previous document).

I believe that the heart of the problem is linked to the "Document" dialog box, When page numbering is set to start on 1, everything prints fine. When it is set to start on say, page 22, picking up from previous document, the document prints only page 1.

Is there a solution to this.

Thanks again.

Clément Topping

Good observation. I wouldn't consider it a bug, though.

The default print dialog assumes that it will start printing on page 1 unless you specify otherwise. Your chapters (other than the first) do not have a page 1, so no subsequent pages are printed beyond the first (which was found to not be what the defult settings expected).

When you have individual chapter files where the subsequent chapters continue page numbering from the previous chapter, you must specify the page number of the first page for each chapter as you want it printed. To print chapter 2 in your case, enter "22" in the "from:" window, because that is the first page you want printed. Enter "999" (a page number that is known to exceed the last page number in the current file) in the "to:" window of the print dialog. If you wanted to print only a single page (say, page 27 has a chart you want to distribute), you would open your chapter 2 file and ask for page 27 ("from: 27" and "to: 27") to be printed. This avoids the problem of having to calculate whether page 27 is the fifth page or the sixth page of the file.

By the way, unless some publisher will be involved in the ultimate printing, I would strongly recommend that each of your new chapter files be numbered so that the first page always begins on an odd-numbered page (if chapter 1 ends on page 21, start chapter 2 on page 23, for example).

John@was
haumann

Postby [email protected] » Sun May 01, 2005 2:21 pm

So there's no other solution? I remember with ClarisWorks and even MacWrite, all I had to do was hit the "print all" radio button and no matter how the pages were numbered, it would print all. How did things get *less* user-friendly?
[email protected]

Postby haumann » Sun May 01, 2005 8:59 pm

[email protected] wrote:So there's no other solution? I remember with ClarisWorks and even MacWrite, all I had to do was hit the "print all" radio button and no matter how the pages were numbered, it would print all. How did things get *less* user-friendly?

I'm not sure what you mean here. If I have a document split over two files where pages 1-6 are in the first file, and pages 7 through 12 are in the second file, printing a specific page shouldn't make me do some extra calculations. To print page 9 of the document, you open the second file and specify page 9 in the Print dialog, assuming the document is set to begin page numbering with page 7. If you want to print the whole document, just open each file and print each file without any page specification -- the default setting prints all pages -- and all the pages will be numbered correctly. What "other" solution would you want?
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo