appleworks not opening

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

appleworks not opening

Postby ebick » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:43 pm

Hi Just wondering if anyone can help me.
My appleworks 6 app will not operate. Everything else is fine. i went to disc utility and enabled disk repair....nothing

I put my appleworks in the trash and reinstalled, but it is the same.
What should I try now?
Thanks
ebick

Re: appleworks not opening

Postby Peggy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:15 pm

ebick wrote:Hi Just wondering if anyone can help me.
My appleworks 6 app will not operate. Everything else is fine. i went to disc utility and enabled disk repair....nothing

What should I try now?
Thanks

Two possibilities come to mind & reinstalling AppleWorks wouldn't "fix" either.

First, check for lots of aliases in your hard drive > Users > [your user name] > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent Items. There also can be aliases in hard drive > Users > [your user name] > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > AutoSave. Also, hard drive > Users > [your user name] > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Cache. Move all three of these folders (in bold) to the Trash, empty the Trash & restart AppleWorks.

If it still won't open, you need to delete the AppleWorks preferences. In OS X you want to move the AppleWorks preferences found in HD/Users/username/Library/Preferences/AppleWorks & the com.apple.appleworks.plist found in ~/Preferences/ to the Trash, then empty the Trash & restart AppleWorks. In OS 8-9, the preference files to Trash are found in HD/System Folder/Preferences/AppleWorks. Then empty the Trash & restart AppleWorks.
Peggy

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:43 pm

ebick wrote:Hi Just wondering if anyone can help me.

What should I try now?
Thanks

This happened to me last night right after I upgraded to 10.3.9. I'm running Appleworks 6.2.9. Appleworks was working fine just before I downloaded the upgrade. Now, the program seems to launch, then I get the dreaded spinning beachball. I did the same upgrade on my powerbook running appleworks 6.2.7 and I have had no problems. I am betting that we are not the only two having this problem. Anybody out there have a suggestion on how to fix this?
Jeff

Postby haumann » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:15 pm

Jeff wrote:This happened to me last night right after I upgraded to 10.3.9. I'm running Appleworks 6.2.9. Appleworks was working fine just before I downloaded the upgrade. Now, the program seems to launch, then I get the dreaded spinning beachball. I did the same upgrade on my powerbook running appleworks 6.2.7 and I have had no problems. I am betting that we are not the only two having this problem. Anybody out there have a suggestion on how to fix this?

You don't mention whether you have done the obvious things like empty the "Recent Items" folder, discard AW preferences, repair file permissions, or see what happens when you try AW from a different user account on the same machine.

Since many have upgraded to 10.3.9 without encountering any AW difficulty suggests that you've most likely encountered little more than an unfortunate coincidence. Unless you have a whole slew of other applications that are misbehaving after your OS update, a bit of methodical troubleshooting is probably in order.

John@was
Last edited by haumann on Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haumann

Appleworks Fix

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:32 pm

I went ahead and tossed the recent items files like you suggested and the program is now working. It looks like it was a coincedence. I think I was influenced by another forum where several people were having problems with their existing programs after upgrading to 10.3.9. Thanks again for the fix!
Jeff

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo