making charts from a database -take 2

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

making charts from a database -take 2

Postby vincev » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:37 am

Hi:

I posted this same question before but it regarded using checkboxes (which I am not using now in my DB). Now, I am wondering how to do this with different elements on a dropdown menu.
I would like to be able to make a report (no graphics, just a report) and a chart (bars and numbers) from my database to report how many records have a certain dropdown menu item.

For example, let's say I had the following in a drop down menu:
Call
Email
Wait for call
No Calls

How would I get a report that totaled them and read some thing like this:

Call 10
Email 2
Wait for call 35
No Calls 3

What formulas should I add in to a summary field to do this?
Also, what do I need to do in my layout to accomplish this? Do I need to do a mailmerge to a word document?

I have moved away from doing this with checkboxes since a drop down is easier...does AW read the dropdown elements in order 0, 1 ,2, 3, etc... or in some other fashion?

Thanks for everyone's help...
-v
vincev

Re: making charts from a database -take 2

Postby Barry » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:59 am

vincev wrote:Hi:

I posted this same question before but it regarded using checkboxes (which I am not using now in my DB). Now, I am wondering how to do this with different elements on a dropdown menu.
I would like to be able to make a report (no graphics, just a report) and a chart (bars and numbers) from my database to report how many records have a certain dropdown menu item.

For example, let's say I had the following in a drop down menu:
Call
Email
Wait for call
No Calls

How would I get a report that totaled them and read some thing like this:

Call 10
Email 2
Wait for call 35
No Calls 3

What formulas should I add in to a summary field to do this?
Also, what do I need to do in my layout to accomplish this? Do I need to do a mailmerge to a word document?

I have moved away from doing this with checkboxes since a drop down is easier...does AW read the dropdown elements in order 0, 1 ,2, 3, etc... or in some other fashion?
-v

You're last sentence comes very close. Popup fields (AppleWorks's name fo what I assume you to mean by 'drop down menu') store a value corresponding to the position of the item in the list, starting with Item 1 ( = 1).

For your example, you'll need four Summary type fields. Name each to reflect the value it is counting. For the first, 'Call', the formula (assuming 'Popup' as the name of the field containing the data to be summarized) would be:

COUNT2(1,'Popup')

Change the 1 in the formula to 2, 3, or 4 for the other three fields.

Place the four fields into a Summary part; either a Grand summary to cound all the records, or a Subsummary to count the records each time the value in a specified field changes. Remember that Summary parts show only when the DB is in Page View (Window meu), and Subsummary parts only when the DB has also been sorted on the field specified in the Subsummary part's definition.

Rgards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo