I/O error and database document

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

I/O error and database document

Postby bpw » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 pm

I have a database document using AW 6.2.9. Suddenly I get "i/o error occurred" when I tried to save changes today. I tried the AWUG recommendation to open a blank database doc and move the file name onto it. The new document shows a transfer of 312 records, but they are all blank! Should I recreate the fields in the new doc before transferring?

I also don't understand how my database file is now corrupted. I've only ever created it and used it on my MacBook Pro. What causes a file to corrupt?
bpw

Re: I/O error and database document

Postby bpw » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:47 pm

OK, after consulting more forums, I went and tried recreating the fields in the new doc, made sure they tabbed in the same order as the original and that the field names were exactly alike. But the software crashed when I dragged the original over the new doc. I had deleted the preferences, the plist files, et al in preparation. The DB I'm trying to fix is all-text, no media.

I've also tried saving the original DB as AW5 but it "quits unexpectedly" on opening.

I don't know where to go from here. This DB is already a rebuild of an AW5 DB that wouldn't open in 6. HELP!!!
bpw

Re: I/O error and database document

Postby haumann » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:32 pm

bpw wrote:OK, after consulting more forums, I went and tried recreating the fields in the new doc, made sure they tabbed in the same order as the original and that the field names were exactly alike. But the software crashed when I dragged the original over the new doc. I had deleted the preferences, the plist files, et al in preparation. The DB I'm trying to fix is all-text, no media.

I've also tried saving the original DB as AW5 but it "quits unexpectedly" on opening.

I don't know where to go from here. This DB is already a rebuild of an AW5 DB that wouldn't open in 6. HELP!!!

Open a blank spreadsheet document. Drag the DB file's icon to the open spreadsheet window. Open the blank DB file you had prepared. Switch back to the spreadsheet and make a block selection of your data. Drag the selection to the DB window to populate the empty DB.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo