Where are templates for databases?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Where are templates for databases?

Postby georgex5 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 am

"The Missing Manual" says there are database templates on the Apple web site but I can't find them. I only know the basic format and I need something a little more complicated.

Specifically, I would like to be able to move records around. I also want to be able to refer one record to another.

Would appreciate any help or comments. Thanks.
georgex5

Re: Where are templates for databases?

Postby Barry » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:00 pm

georgex5 wrote:"The Missing Manual" says there are database templates on the Apple web site but I can't find them. I only know the basic format and I need something a little more complicated.

Specifically, I would like to be able to move records around. I also want to be able to refer one record to another.

Hi George,

The MM is probably referring to the templates available through the Web tab in Starting Points.

If by "move records around" you mean "change the order in which records are presented," you can do this by sorting the records on the contents of one or more fields, or manually by selecting one or more contiguous records and dragging it/them to a new position.

If you mean "move the displayed fields in a record to a different position in relation to other fields," that's done by creating an new Layout or editing an existing one. A good pair of first steps to that goal is 1) Read the Help documents' "Organizing Information (Database)" section, 2) Look over the layouts in one or more of the sample databases in the Templates (Event Tracker) or Assistants (Address List) in Starting Points. Although neither of these provde what I'd regard as a 'finished product,' both will give you examples of some possibilities.

I'm not certain what you mean by "refer one record to another," but I suspect it's not something you can do in AppleWorks. Post again with more detail on that.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby georgex5 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 am

Barry--

Here are a couple of things I would like to do. They may be possible now but I don't know how to do them.

1. The Fields are created as one line but expand automatically when you type into them. I would like to create fields that have more than one line all the time, even if the field is empty.

2. I would like to set up the data base so that every Record takes up a whole page in the document. As it is now, records can appear part on one page and the rest on the following page. This makes printing individual records difficult.

3. I would also like to have the record number be part of the record.

4. Also, I would like to move records around like you can text in AW6.

Thanks for any comments.
georgex5

Postby Barry » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:21 pm

georgex5 wrote:1. The Fields are created as one line but expand automatically when you type into them. I would like to create fields that have more than one line all the time, even if the field is empty.

2. I would like to set up the data base so that every Record takes up a whole page in the document. As it is now, records can appear part on one page and the rest on the following page. This makes printing individual records difficult.

3. I would also like to have the record number be part of the record.

4. Also, I would like to move records around like you can text in AW6.

I'll number these in the same order as asked, but would advise doing #2 first, as this will give you more space on the layout for the others. For the first two of these, you will need to be in Layout mode (press shift-command-L, or go Layout > Layout) to make the changes. To view the effects, return to Browse mode (shift-command-B or go Layout > Browse). You'll probably find it convenient to do #3 in Layout as well, as this will give you the opportunity to place the Record No. field where you want it on the layout.

1. Layout puts you into the Draw environment, and a Layout may be edited in the same manner as a Draw document. Unless you have added other objects, the Layout will contain two types of Frames: Text frames, containing the Fieldname in boldface type, and Field frames, also containing the Fieldname, but in normal weight type. AppleWorks places a pair of frames (in the frontmost Layout—others are unchanged) for each Field you create or Insert into the Layout, and enters the Fieldname into the Text frame. The two frames are independent of each other—you may edit the contents of the text frame or even delete the frame without affecting the Field frame.

To resize a frame, select the frame, then drag the handle on one of the corners until the frame is the size you want. To move the frame, click on any part of the frame except a handle and drag the frame to the new location.

In Browse, Field frames will display at the size you set, but will expand (if necessary) to show all their contents when you place the insertion point in the frame.

2. The Body boundary, a grey line running across the page, determines the bottom boundary of a record. Drag it to the bottom of the page to make each record take a whole page.

3. A Serial number type field will number each record as it is created. Existing records will be numbered in the order they are displayed when the Serial Number field is created. By default, the serial number will start at 1 and increment by 1. This can be changed using the Option button when creating the field.

Note that you can also record the Date, Time, or User logged on when the record was created or was last modified using a Record info type field. For existing records, this type of field will enter the information current at the time of the field's creation, not that current when the record was created.

4. You can reorder records by selecting one (click on the Record, but outside any Field to select and highlight the whole record), then dragging it to it's new position in the list. With each record taking up a full page after the layout change in #2 above, you may find this easier to do in List (shift-command-I or go Layout > List) where each record takes a single line. To select a record in List, click in the small empty cell at the left end of the line.

You can also Sort (command-J) records on one or more fields.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby georgex5 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:24 am

Barry--

Thanks for all the info! I am going to start work on it right away.

georgex5
georgex5

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo