Spreadsheet Preference Problem

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Spreadsheet Preference Problem

Postby seavent » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi,

I've been trying to change the direction the cursor moves in the spreadsheet when you press enter. Currently it moves to the cell beneath the active cell, I want it to move to the cell to the right. I've changed the preference in the Spreadsheet preferences but the cursor still goes down one cell rather than to the right.

Any idea what is wrong here?

Thanks,
Win
seavent

Re: Spreadsheet Preference Problem

Postby Barry » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:25 pm

seavent wrote:Hi,

I've been trying to change the direction the cursor moves in the spreadsheet when you press enter. Currently it moves to the cell beneath the active cell, I want it to move to the cell to the right. I've changed the preference in the Spreadsheet preferences but the cursor still goes down one cell rather than to the right.

Hi Win,

My guess is that you're using the key above the right side Shift key and to the right of the single/double quote key.

That's the "Return" key, and is not affected by the preference setting in AppleWorks Preferences. The "Enter" key (the one affected by this preference setting) is the one labeled "enter" and located in the numeric key cluster on extended keyboards or below the >/. key (ie. at the bottom right of the virtual number pad) on iBook and MacBook keyboards.

In the Return key will always confirm the entry and move the insertion point one cell down, the Tab key will always confirm the entry and move the insertion point one cell to the right. The enter key may be set to confirms the entry and keep the insertion point in the same cell or to adopt the behaviour of the Tab or Return key.

BTW, the Return key on the portable keyboard, also labeled 'enter' will act as Return if pressed alone and as Enter if the "fn" (Function) key is also pressed.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo