"no save" Appleworks

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

"no save" Appleworks

Postby Tom Kirkman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Over the past year, my Appleworks software has slowly by surely been weeding out all other formats other than spread sheets. At one time I could save documents in various forms - word processing, test, RTF, etc., but now no matter what I try to save a document as, it is saved only as a spread sheet. Obviously this doesn't work so well with magazine articles that I'm trying to save in plain text.

Funny thing, is that I have Appleworks installed on 2 different computers and both of them began this odd behavior about the same time.

Any ideas on how to regain the ability to save files as text or RTF?

Thanks.
Tom Kirkman

Re: "no save" Appleworks

Postby Barry » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Tom Kirkman wrote:Over the past year, my Appleworks software has slowly by surely been weeding out all other formats other than spread sheets. At one time I could save documents in various forms - word processing, test, RTF, etc., but now no matter what I try to save a document as, it is saved only as a spread sheet. Obviously this doesn't work so well with magazine articles that I'm trying to save in plain text.

Funny thing, is that I have Appleworks installed on 2 different computers and both of them began this odd behavior about the same time.

Any ideas on how to regain the ability to save files as text or RTF?

Thanks.

Hi Tom,

This isn't an issue I've seen before, so I can offer only a general suggestion.

Many AppleWorks issues can be caused by corrupted preferences files, so an early step in trouble shooting is to delete these and let AW build new ones.

Quit AppleWorks

Look in Mac HD > yourname > Library > Preferences
-Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
-Find and open the folder AppleWorks
--Delete the enclosed files with one exception: If you have made changes to the Button Bar, leave the Button Bar prefs file in the folder.

Relaunch AppleWorks.

If this fails to cure the problem, you might want to consider reinstalling AppleWorks from the installation disks that came with your computer or the install disks in the retail package if that is how you acquired the application.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Save as

Postby Didier » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Maybe, assuming you are using AppleWorks6 on OsX Macs, and are trying to "Save as" "Word Processing" files, you moved the "Translators" folder on your computers.

The "Translators" folder should be located in the "AppleWorks Essentials" folder thats sits in your "AppleWorks folder".
The "Translators" folder includes 3 folders :
"Carbon", "Classic" each one containing one TEXT and one RTF translator ; the third one "DataViz_Carbon" contains other translators.

Make sure all these files and folders sit in their right place and try first to Save as Text or RTF a file you had aldready created from an AppleWorks Word Processing.

Hope this helps,
Didier
Didier

Postby Tom Kirkman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Thank you both very, very much. I will give both suggestions a shot.
Tom Kirkman

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo