Can not paste from clipboard into AW 6.0

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Can not paste from clipboard into AW 6.0

Postby HarryBennettJr » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:38 pm

For over a year I have not been able to paste items from the clipboard into AppleWorks. I've been too busy to get help.
I can only paste from one AW file into another AW file. I cannot take anything from WORD, AOL and paste into an AW document. When I do press Control-V, it just pastes one little nondescript character, nothing else. I've tried it on newly installed-from-the-original disk versions always with same result.
I have to re-type everything into AW 6.0.
Any suggestions???
Harry
HarryBennettJr

Re: Can not paste from clipboard into AW 6.0

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:54 pm

HarryBennettJr wrote:For over a year I have not been able to paste items from the clipboard into AppleWorks. I've been too busy to get help.
I can only paste from one AW file into another AW file. I cannot take anything from WORD, AOL and paste into an AW document. When I do press Control-V, it just pastes one little nondescript character, nothing else. I've tried it on newly installed-from-the-original disk versions always with same result.
Any suggestions???
Harry

I'm wondering whether the problem lies with AppleWorks or elsewhere. What happens when you attempt to paste this material into another application (different from the one it was copied from)? Have you looked at the Clipboard to see what you've actually copied? In the Finder, go Edit > Show Clipboard.

What OS version are you using? What version of AppleWorks?

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby HarryBennettJr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Barry wrote:
HarryBennettJr wrote:For over a year I have not been able to paste items from the clipboard into AppleWorks. I've been too busy to get help.
Any suggestions???
Harry

I'm wondering whether the problem lies with AppleWorks or elsewhere. What happens when you attempt to paste this material into another application (different from the one it was copied from)? Have you looked at the Clipboard to see what you've actually copied? In the Finder, go Edit > Show Clipboard.

Regards,
Barry

I'm using Windows XP on a DELL.
I forgot to mention that anything that I copy and paste FROM AppleWorks WP or DB programs will PASTE JUST FINE into any other program. Just cannot copy FROM other programs INTO AW 6.0
HarryBennettJr

Postby Barry » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:37 pm

HarryBennettJr wrote:
Barry wrote:

I forgot to mention that anything that I copy and paste FROM AppleWorks WP or DB programs will PASTE JUST FINE into any other program. Just cannot copy FROM other programs INTO AW 6.0

Hi Harry,

Sorry, I didn't notice "AW 6.0" in your first post. One thing I would recommend is to update your AppleWorks to 6.2.2, the last Windows version. Leave that step 'til later, as it's unlikely to solve the current problem, but should improve the application's overall operation.

If you were running on OS X, my first recommendation would be to delete AppleWorks's Preferences and Cache files. Corrupted preferences can cause many anomalies in the operation of AppleWorks, and deleting the files allows AppleWorkss to build a new, clean set.

On the Mac, AppleWorks keeps five such files for each user account.
Four of them (two prefs files and two cache files) are found at

username > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks

The other is in the same Preferences folder, but outside the AppleWorks folder found there.

Quitting AppleWorks, then moving these files to your Recycle bin MAY have the same effect in XP as does moving them to the Trash on the Mac (ie. AppleWorks will build new files as it needs them), BUT—caveat emptor—I have had no direct experience with this and no indirect knowledge whether or not the process will work. You might want to ask a Windows user for advice regarding prefeerences files.

Regards,
Barry

PS: You may want to repost your question in the AppleWorks forum at Apple's Discussions site (discussions.apple.org). Some of the AppleWorks/Windows users active there may not be reading this forum.
B
Barry

Postby HarryBennettJr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:07 pm

Barry wrote:
HarryBennettJr wrote:
Barry wrote:

Hi Harry,

Sorry, I didn't notice "AW 6.0" in your first post. One thing I would recommend is to update your AppleWorks to 6.2.2, the last Windows version. Leave that step 'til later, as it's unlikely to solve the current problem, but should improve the application's overall operation.

If you were running on OS X, my first recommendation would be to delete AppleWorks's Preferences and Cache files. Corrupted preferences can cause many anomalies in the operation of AppleWorks, and deleting the files allows AppleWorkss to build a new, clean set.

On the Mac, AppleWorks keeps five such files for each user account.
Four of them (two prefs files and two cache files) are found at

username > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks

The other is in the same Preferences folder, but outside the AppleWorks folder found there.

Quitting AppleWorks, then moving these files to your Recycle bin MAY have the same effect in XP as does moving them to the Trash on the Mac (ie. AppleWorks will build new files as it needs them), BUT—caveat emptor—I have had no direct experience with this and no indirect knowledge whether or not the process will work. You might want to ask a Windows user for advice regarding prefeerences files.

Regards,
Barry

PS: You may want to repost your question in the AppleWorks forum at Apple's Discussions site (discussions.apple.org). Some of the AppleWorks/Windows users active there may not be reading this forum.
B

Barry, I just tried pasting something I copied from an AOL email into a WORD doc. Works fine. Then I went to an open AW 6.2.1 DB file and instead of pasting what I just copied from AOL to WORD, it pasted the last bit of info I had copied from within another AW DB file.
Yes, I would like to interact with a knowledgeable WINDOWS user on this issue.
And by the way ... I do have the AW for Windows 6.2.1 on my computer. Still anxious for answers or suggestions.
HarryBennettJr

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo