AW6 not saving changed documents

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW6 not saving changed documents

Postby Thomas C. Fox » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:22 pm

In working on documents 'command-s' occasionally does not save. 'Save' in File menu is grayed out. When I reopen a document I thought was saved I get only the first few lines that were originally saved. I have used 'save as' but mostly assume that doc has been saved - often with unfortunate results.
Thomas C. Fox

Re: AW6 not saving changed documents

Postby Peggy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Thomas C. Fox wrote:In working on documents 'command-s' occasionally does not save. 'Save' in File menu is grayed out. When I reopen a document I thought was saved I get only the first few lines that were originally saved. I have used 'save as' but mostly assume that doc has been saved - often with unfortunate results.

My guess is that you did one of two things while this file was open in AppleWorks, renamed the file in the Finder or moved the File in the Finder. Either of these will "break" AppleWorks connection to the file. Unless you had a program running in the background that records keyboard input, I'm afraid your work is lost & you will have to re-do it.
Peggy

AW6 not saving changed docs

Postby Thomas C. Fox » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 am

Peggy, Thanks for the input. However, I have not 'knowingly' done either of the noted actions. Also, this is not a single instance. While I have noted perhaps a dozen instances there may be dozens that I have closed & never looked at again.
Tom Fox
Thomas C. Fox

Re: AW6 not saving changed docs

Postby haumann » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Thomas C. Fox wrote:Peggy, Thanks for the input. However, I have not 'knowingly' done either of the noted actions. Also, this is not a single instance. While I have noted perhaps a dozen instances there may be dozens that I have closed & never looked at again.
Tom Fox

Thomas,

I don't know whether it's unique to me (I kinda' doubt it because it occurs on two different Macs of mine), but I have to save my AW 6 document files twice. The first save always leaves the File >Save menu in a state that suggests the file has not yet been saved. I never notice any additional disk activity on the second "Save" (although the File menu does flash again), but I've never been plagued with the "lost file" syndrome as a result. I'm at a loss for a good explanation, but I've gotten into the habit of striking command-S a second time whenever I intend to save a new or changed document.

John@was
haumann

AW6 not saving changed docs

Postby Thomas C. Fox » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm

I finally reinstalled AW6 & so far appears to be working - not enough docs to be a good test. Thanks for comments. Tom Fox
Thomas C. Fox

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo