Database question

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database question

Postby Eric Wieczorek » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Hello there. We use a number of databases to keep track of our customers. A strange thing has been happening lately and I'm wondering if anyone can help?

The database has five fields. When I select 'new record' to add a customer, the fourth field contains some text (and the text is not related to the name of the field.) The other four fields are blank. Its not a big deal since we just type over the text in field four. but I'm wondering why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Eric W.
Victoria, BC
Canada
Eric Wieczorek

Re: Database question

Postby Barry » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 am

Eric Wieczorek wrote:Hello there. We use a number of databases to keep track of our customers. A strange thing has been happening lately and I'm wondering if anyone can help?

The database has five fields. When I select 'new record' to add a customer, the fourth field contains some text (and the text is not related to the name of the field.) The other four fields are blank. Its not a big deal since we just type over the text in field four. but I'm wondering why this is happening?

You or someone else may have set the "enter by default" option for that field to enter that specific text.

Check this possibility by pressing shift-command-D to open the Define Fields dialogue, then click on Field 4. Click the Options button and check if there's an "enter by default" option set. If so, deselect the option and/or clear the text from the box.

If this is NOT the problem, your database file may be in the first stages of corruption.

Open your most recent copy of the DB that did NOT exhibit this problem. Select all of the records, go Edit > Clear to empty the DB, then Save As, using a different name.

After saving, open the copy of the DB that is showing the problems, Select All the records and Copy. Switch windows to show the empty DB and Paste. Save the newly filled DB, agan using a different name. Use this copy as your working copy. Keep the empty one in case you need to repeat the process.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Eric Wieczorek » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi Barry

Thanks for the advice -- your info fixed the problem. Somehow there was some text in the 'options' box that you described.

Thanks again.

Eric
Eric Wieczorek

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo