Inserting Characters from Palette

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Inserting Characters from Palette

Postby katherineblake » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:13 am

I would like to be able to use various currency and monetary symbols in AW word processing documents. Why won't the "insert" button on the Character Palette (from the international pane) work? It stays greyed out and therefore inactive. Very frustrating. What am I missing? It works in emails (the insert button). Arrrrgh! - A very green AW user, Katherine
katherineblake

Re: Inserting Characters from Palette

Postby Barry » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:29 am

katherineblake wrote:I would like to be able to use various currency and monetary symbols in AW word processing documents. Why won't the "insert" button on the Character Palette (from the international pane) work? It stays greyed out and therefore inactive. Very frustrating. What am I missing? It works in emails (the insert button). Arrrrgh! - A very green AW user, Katherine

Hi Katherine,

AppleWorks is 'legacy' software. It can use only the Mac Roman encoded characters that were available to it in OS 9 and previous versions of the Mac OS. Most of the fonts on your newer Mac contain the full Unicode set of characters, many of which can't be used in AppleWorks.

Any character that is available directly from the keyboard (using one of the Roman encoded keyboard layouts) can be used in AppleWorks. You can see these (and how to get them) using Keyboard Viewer, also available from the International pane's Input Menu.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo