Help With Avery Labels

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Help With Avery Labels

Postby Judy C. Norton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:10 am

Hi!
I need to make some special labels for Christmas using Avery #8395 labels. I am on Mac OS 10.4.11, G5, but am able to run Classic, therefore, A.W. I tried using the Avery site with their on-line software, but I don't have the right browser. So, I need to add a photograph to the label and well as text. These are to be book plates for a child. How do I add the photograph, in color, and have it be to be moved around the inside of the label? Or is it not possible? ANY help would be great! Thanks in advance.
Judy C. Norton

Re: Help With Avery Labels

Postby Barry » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:07 pm

Judy C. Norton wrote:Hi!
I need to make some special labels for Christmas using Avery #8395 labels. I am on Mac OS 10.4.11, G5, but am able to run Classic, therefore, A.W. I tried using the Avery site with their on-line software, but I don't have the right browser. So, I need to add a photograph to the label and well as text. These are to be book plates for a child. How do I add the photograph, in color, and have it be to be moved around the inside of the label? Or is it not possible? ANY help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Hi Judy,

This can be done with an AppleWorks database document. AW doesn't included 8395 in the list of Avery label numbers for which it has pre-loaded dimensions, so you'll need measure carefully and use the Custom setting.

The Layout mode of an AW database is essentially a Draw document with the boundaries of a single label on it. If you've used AppleWorks's Drawing module, you'll be familiar with how to place text and images onto a drawing.

Sharon Joiner wrote a set of instructions for creating return address labels using the AW database. Book plates are essentially similar—a set of labels, all of which contain the same information and graphics—so those instructions are equally useful for your case.

If you are making labels for more than one person in lots that are not multiples of the number of labels on a sheet (8 for Avery 8395), the revision to her instructions is to use a Text field (the one AppleWorks demands that you create and place on the layout when creating the DB) to hold the name(s) instead of placing it into a text frame on the layout.

Avery also makes a downloadable labels application for Macintosh, Mac Label Expert. I haven't used it recently, as I do most of my labels in AppleWorks, but as I recall, it's pretty simple to use, and the price (free) is right. I haven't tried it for labels with added pictures, though. You can find it on the Avery site.

Regards,
Barry

(Edited from earlier post.)
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo