How Do You Highlight Non-contiguous Text?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

How Do You Highlight Non-contiguous Text?

Postby K. Miller » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Somewhere, recently I read a tip that instructed how to do this and it seemed that this was possible within AppleWorks. I thought I had seen this in a recent AWUG Journal, but a search of recent Journals failed to show this.

It might have appeared in a recent Mac-devoted magazine. Anyone know of this and where it appeared?

Thanks,

K. Miller
K. Miller

Re: How Do You Highlight Non-contiguous Text?

Postby Peggy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 am

K. Miller wrote:Somewhere, recently I read a tip that instructed how to do this and it seemed that this was possible within AppleWorks. I thought I had seen this in a recent AWUG Journal, but a search of recent Journals failed to show this.

It might have appeared in a recent Mac-devoted magazine. Anyone know of this and where it appeared?

Thanks,

K. Miller

Welcome to the AWUG forums

You can't highlight non-contiguous text in AppleWorks.
Peggy

Re: How Do You Highlight Non-contiguous Text?

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:18 am

Peggy wrote:
K. Miller wrote:Somewhere, recently I read a tip that instructed how to do this and it seemed that this was possible within AppleWorks. I thought I had seen this in a recent AWUG Journal, but a search of recent Journals failed to show this.

Thanks,

K. Miller

Welcome to the AWUG forums

You can't highlight non-contiguous text in AppleWorks.

Depends what you mean by "highlight". If you mean "select", then Peggy is correct; it can't be done.

If you mean "place a colour block behind" to create an effect similar to running a hi-liter across the text on a printed page, it's fairly easy.

Show the Tools palette (Window > Show tools, or click the red toolbox at the lower left of the document window).

Use the Rectangle tool to draw a rectangle that just covers the text you want to highlight.

Use the Fill formatting button then the color palette to select a highlight colour. Repeat using the formatting button then the color palette to set the line colour to the same value as the fill colour.

Copy the rectangle so that you can re-use it.

Go Arrange > Move to back to place the rectangle behind the (now highlighted) text.

Still in Draw mode (you should have the Arrow mouse pointer—if not, click on the Selection tool {arrow} in the tools palette), Paste another copy of the coloured rectangle, drag it to the next line of text you want to highlight, and adjust the length to cover the text to be highlighted. Move to back as above. Repeat as necessary.

NOTE that these rectangles are not part of the text, but floating objects. If you edit text above the highlighted portion, change fonts or size, or change style (eg. to bold), the text to be highlighted will move, but the rectangles will not. Best to leave this highlighting until you've finished otherwise revising text.

NOTE2: When resizing small rectangles like this, it's easy to change their height when trying to change only their length.

TIP: When you have one the right size for the text size and font you are using, select it, then go Options > Object size... and note the height of the object, reported in the second box in the right column. For subsequent highlight rectangles, after adjusting the length to fit the text to be highlighted, open the Object size dialogue, enter the correct size into the Height box, then press tab to confirm the entry.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo