AW and the spinning ball

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW and the spinning ball

Postby Rhiannon Beech » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:53 pm

I bought a new imac 2GHz intel core duo with OS 10.4.9 now upgraded to 10.4.11. When I copied AW 6.2.9 from my old imac running OS 10.3.9 (previously 9.2.1) on to the new Mac I experienced trouble, usually after the computer had been up and running other applications. When I tried to launch AW the spinning ball appeared and I had to force quit and restart. Then all is well, until the computer has been on for a time. This also happened at the same time with Text edit, so I thought the computer to be at fault and erased the HD and reinstalled. I have also run repair permissions. I havenot been able to ascertain what combination of applications causes this to happen , has anyone else had this happen, are there any suggestions, or do I have a faulty computer? Thank you.
Rhiannon Beech

Re: AW and the spinning ball

Postby Peggy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Rhiannon Beech wrote:I bought a new imac 2GHz intel core duo with OS 10.4.9 now upgraded to 10.4.11. When I copied AW 6.2.9 from my old imac running OS 10.3.9 (previously 9.2.1) on to the new Mac I experienced trouble, usually after the computer had been up and running other applications. When I tried to launch AW the spinning ball appeared and I had to force quit and restart. Then all is well, until the computer has been on for a time. This also happened at the same time with Text edit, so I thought the computer to be at fault and erased the HD and reinstalled. I have also run repair permissions. I havenot been able to ascertain what combination of applications causes this to happen , has anyone else had this happen, are there any suggestions, or do I have a faulty computer? Thank you.

If you copied over your documents folder, particularly the AppleWorks User Data folder, you copied over lots & lots of recent items aliases. With each update of OS X, AppleWorks 6 is more & more sensitive to the number of aliases in the Recent Items folder. Delete most, if not all, of the aliases & restart AppleWorks. You should see a tremendous improvement.
Peggy

AW and the spinning ball

Postby Rhiannon Beech » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Thank you Peggy! I opened the HD >recent items folder, but it only contains 9 items, which are the documents which I have written since re install. So it hardly looks like an excessive number, but i have deleted them and we will see!! Rhiannon
Rhiannon Beech

Re: AW and the spinning ball

Postby les2147 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Rhiannon Beech wrote:I bought a new imac 2GHz intel core duo with OS 10.4.9 now upgraded to 10.4.11. When I copied AW 6.2.9 from my old imac running OS 10.3.9 (previously 9.2.1) on to the new Mac I experienced trouble, usually after the computer had been up and running other applications. When I tried to launch AW the spinning ball appeared and I had to force quit and restart. Then all is well, until the computer has been on for a time. This also happened at the same time with Text edit, so I thought the computer to be at fault and erased the HD and reinstalled. I have also run repair permissions. I havenot been able to ascertain what combination of applications causes this to happen , has anyone else had this happen, are there any suggestions, or do I have a faulty computer? Thank you.

It appears that AW is looking for parts of the program file. I have a new Intel MacBook and because my AW CD was in OS9 format my MacBook could not recognize the CD. I just put the AW folder from my old Mac on a flash drive and copied it the the application folder on my Intel Mac and it works fine.
les2147

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo