Claris Works 4.0 Documents. Moving to OSX Leopard

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Claris Works 4.0 Documents. Moving to OSX Leopard

Postby snanceki » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:48 am

Hi Newbie here.
I'm sure you guys will have a simple answer to my dilemma.
My fathers G3 PowerPC running OS9 (I think) has many documents created in Claris Works 4.0.
What process should I follow in order to export these documents to be stored and read on my new iMac Duo 10.5.
Without the G3 in front of me I'm not sure whether there is an Export/Save to Word, PDF or whatever. I suspect not. Maybe the best that can be achieved is to open and save them in TextEdit (I know how to force open in alternative applications) and just accept loss of formatting + "gobbledygook" format info if that is what occurs..
Likewise I have a few Claris Impact documents.
I have the original Claris program disks but when I tried to load them to OSX Classic Environment it prompted that there was a "Folder" problem.
I'm moderately Mac savvy but your input would be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Stuart
snanceki

Re: Claris Works 4.0 Documents. Moving to OSX Leopard

Postby Peggy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 am

snanceki wrote:Hi Newbie here.
I'm sure you guys will have a simple answer to my dilemma.
My fathers G3 PowerPC running OS9 (I think) has many documents created in Claris Works 4.0.
What process should I follow in order to export these documents to be stored and read on my new iMac Duo 10.5.
Without the G3 in front of me I'm not sure whether there is an Export/Save to Word, PDF or whatever. I suspect not. Maybe the best that can be achieved is to open and save them in TextEdit (I know how to force open in alternative applications) and just accept loss of formatting + "gobbledygook" format info if that is what occurs..
Likewise I have a few Claris Impact documents.
I have the original Claris program disks but when I tried to load them to OSX Classic Environment it prompted that there was a "Folder" problem.
I'm moderately Mac savvy but your input would be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Stuart

Welcome to the AWUG forum

All versions of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks can save as Word, but it is unlikely that the version the older versions save as could be opened by Pages (part of iWork) or other "modern" word processors. You can use the shareware printer driver, Print to PDF, in OS 9 to make PDFs.

A better option would be to get a copy of AppleWorks 6.2.4 to run on the new Intel Mac. You can often find it on eBay and do a search for "AppleWorks" or "Apple Works" (some people put a "space" in the name). Also, Hardcore Mac sells AppleWorks 6.2.4.

AppleWorks 6.2.9 (the current version) can't open all ClarisWorks 4 or earlier files. It gives an I/O error. There doesn't appear to be a way to predict which files will cause problems. I've had it happen & not happen with all AppleWorks file types. These files can be opened by any other version of AppleWorks 6, which is why I recommend AppleWorks 6.2.4.

As for Claris Impact, I don't know of any programs that can open those files.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo