data base sorting trouble

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

data base sorting trouble

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm

I am using appleworks data base to track my stamp collection. As of the last few days I have not been able to sort the data base in alphabetical order. There are about 12570 entries in the data base. Hope you can help

Re: data base sorting trouble

Postby Barry » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:I am using appleworks data base to track my stamp collection. As of the last few days I have not been able to sort the data base in alphabetical order. There are about 12570 entries in the data base. Hope you can help

I would start by deleting AppleWorks's preferences files and Caches.

There are five of these, one of which (button bar prefs) may be kept IF you have made changes to the Button Bar AND have had no problems with the Button Bar.

Four of the files are located at [i]yourname[/] > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks 6. Open the folder and Trash both cache files and one or both preferences files.

The fifth is in the Preferences folder, but outside the AppleWorks 6 folder. Look for and trash the file com.apple.appleworks.plist.

AppleWorks will build new, clean prefs files as it needs them.

If this does not solve the problem, it may indicate corruption in the database file itself. SOME corrupted db files can be cured by the following procedure (although I don't recall this having been recommended for a 'can't sort' problem).

Open the file.
Go File > Save as...
Choose Save as: AppleWorks 5
Revise the file's name to avoid overwriting the original.
Save.

Close the original.
Open the copy you just saved.
Check to see if the problem is solved.
If it is, Save (as AppleWorks, using the original name) to replace the original.
Continue, using the new file.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 am

Barry wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I am using appleworks data base to track my stamp collection. As of the last few days I have not been able to sort the data base in alphabetical order. There are about 12570 entries in the data base. Hope you can help

I would start by deleting AppleWorks's preferences files and Caches.

There are five of these, one of which (button bar prefs) may be kept IF you have made changes to the Button Bar AND have had no problems with the Button Bar.

Four of the files are located at [i]yourname[/] > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks 6. Open the folder and Trash both cache files and one or both preferences files.

The fifth is in the Preferences folder, but outside the AppleWorks 6 folder. Look for and trash the file com.apple.appleworks.plist.

AppleWorks will build new, clean prefs files as it needs them.

If this does not solve the problem, it may indicate corruption in the database file itself. SOME corrupted db files can be cured by the following procedure (although I don't recall this having been recommended for a 'can't sort' problem).

Open the file.
Go File > Save as...
Choose Save as: AppleWorks 5
Revise the file's name to avoid overwriting the original.
Save.

Close the original.
Open the copy you just saved.
Check to see if the problem is solved.
If it is, Save (as AppleWorks, using the original name) to replace the original.
Continue, using the new file.

Regards,
Barry

Dear Barry

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using Appleworks 5 on this computer and can't find the preferences file you are referring to. Can you direct me in the right direction? I saved the file under another name and deleted about half of the files and then tried to sort. This was not successful. Appreciate any help

Ellie

Postby Didier » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:I am using Appleworks 5 on this computer

So, maybe you're using it under MacOS9 or older and not MacOSX.
If true, you'll find AppleWorks 5 (or ClarisWorks) preferences in the Preferences folder located in the System Folder of your Mac disk.
If you're using AW 5 on a "Windows computer", I don't know where you can find these files …
Didier
Didier

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo