Database mail merge problem

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database mail merge problem

Postby marmac8 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi,
I'm using Appleworks 6 and Leopard. I'm working with a database with 780 records for a business directory I'm producing. Everything was working fine, but I suddenly cannot do a mail merge--I'm trying to save the merged document in a new file and it crashes Appleworks. I click "mail merge" and a document comes up that is blank and 10 seconds later the program crashes.
I've tried various fixes I've seen in this forum such as deleting the preferences and caches, resaving the file as Appleworks 5 and turning off Autosave and Recent Items (and deleting the files for them).
Can anyone suggest anything? I can't even contemplate what I'm going to do if I can't fix this. I have hundreds of hours into this project and am almost finished.
(The database itself is working fine, it's just the mail merge that's problematic--but it is an essential thing for this project.)
marmac8

Re: Database mail merge problem

Postby haumann » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:58 pm

marmac8 wrote:Hi,
I'm using Appleworks 6 and Leopard. I'm working with a database with 780 records for a business directory I'm producing. Everything was working fine, but I suddenly cannot do a mail merge--I'm trying to save the merged document in a new file and it crashes Appleworks. I click "mail merge" and a document comes up that is blank and 10 seconds later the program crashes.
I've tried various fixes I've seen in this forum such as deleting the preferences and caches, resaving the file as Appleworks 5 and turning off Autosave and Recent Items (and deleting the files for them).
Can anyone suggest anything? I can't even contemplate what I'm going to do if I can't fix this. I have hundreds of hours into this project and am almost finished.
(The database itself is working fine, it's just the mail merge that's problematic--but it is an essential thing for this project.)

I think I would first try repairing permissions (from Disk Utility) just because it's easy to do. If the problem persists, I'd try to duplicate the problem with a mail merge using a small "test" database. If the problem were still there, I'd move the db to the Shared folder (to provide access to another user), switch to a different user account and see if I could complete a successful merge.document in that alternate user account.

John@was
haumann

Postby marmac8 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks so much for your reply

I tried everything you suggested but to no avail. Luckily, my husband has a macbook (intel processor) that I had previously installed Appleworks on. So, I moved the database to his computer and voilá--it worked! I've been having some funny font problems on my computer--do you think that could be the cause of my problems?
Thanks
marmac8

Postby haumann » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:52 pm

marmac8 wrote:--it worked! I've been having some funny font problems on my computer--do you think that could be the cause of my problems?
Thanks

After trying the suggested activities without a resolution, that (corrupt font) would have been high on my list of suspects.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo