Replacement Disc

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Replacement Disc

Postby jrp » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:21 pm

I've been using A/W forever, but long ago lost the install disc. I just had a computer crash (although my files are backed up on an external drive) -- and desperately need to access my A/W files on a new Mac I just picked up. Does anyone know a fast way for me to obtain an install disc, or downloadable file that will install the program?

Thanks a lot.
jrp

Re: Replacement Disc

Postby Barry » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:17 am

jrp wrote:I've been using A/W forever, but long ago lost the install disc. I just had a computer crash (although my files are backed up on an external drive) -- and desperately need to access my A/W files on a new Mac I just picked up. Does anyone know a fast way for me to obtain an install disc, or downloadable file that will install the program?

If AppleWorks came as bundled software with your old Mac, you may be able to get replacement system/software install disk(s) from Apple.

There is (and never has been) a legal download source for the application or its installer.

AppleWorks retail disks regularly turn up on eBay and similar sites. Note that although AppleWorks 6.2.x from any installer disk will run (well) on current Macs, the installer on older disks is a Mac OS 9 application, and is not supported on intel based Macs.

Hardcore Mac has (at last report) installer disks for AppleWorks 6.2.4, one of two recommended versions, and one you should have available if you have files from versions of AW/CW earlier than 5.0.

And finally, you can probably still get the retail version of AW 6.2.9 from Apple by contacting the Apple Online Store by telephone, using the number at the bottom of the Apple Store page ( http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... ppleStore/ ) and asking for the Legacy Software List.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo