Replacement for AW

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Replacement for AW

Postby Debbie Smith » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:39 am

My boss is putting the pressure on to come up with a replacement for Appleworks. I think FileMaker is overkill for what we do (mostly databases for keeping track of several association's membership records, dues, contact info, etc.). I understand Bento can't do the type of printed reports I need with headers, ability to print landscape, etc., and after trying OpenOffice, I definitely don't want to go that route.

I love Appleworks, I don't want to give it up, and will keep it until the last possible minute, but the writing is on the wall. So bottom line, are there any easy to use integrated software packages out there that are similar and will run on the latest Mac system? I've searched and searched and just can't seem to find anything. I'll go with FileMaker if that's what I have to do, but I'd prefer something simpler.
Debbie Smith

Re: Replacement for AW

Postby Debbie Smith » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:48 am

*crickets*

Well, it's settled then. There IS no replacement for Appleworks, but I assume most of us knew that.

I'll just keep hoping Apple comes up with a nice little database program for iWork in the next couple of years. I should be using Leopard on my iMac for about that long. If all else fails, I'll go to FileMaker.

Debbie
Debbie Smith

Re: Replacement for AW

Postby Barry » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 pm

Debbie Smith wrote:*crickets*

Well, it's settled then. There IS no replacement for Appleworks, but I assume most of us knew that.

I'll just keep hoping Apple comes up with a nice little database program for iWork in the next couple of years. I should be using Leopard on my iMac for about that long. If all else fails, I'll go to FileMaker.

Debbie

You're correct; there is no direct replacement for the database module of AppleWorks.

Your choices appear to be Bento or FileMaker Pro (or 4D, which is also a relational DB application).

In the Windows world, many people handle list management tasks using the spreadsheet application MS Excel, which is also available for Macintosh as part of MS Office Mac. You might also be able to accomplish much of what you need using Numbers, the spreadsheet application in the iWork suite.

It's an issue I'm facing myself, and like you, I haven't yet found an adequate replacement for AppleWorks, and am continuing to use the AW database.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Replacement for AW

Postby unclepeter » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 am

Have any of you tried "OpenOffice.org"?

It is a self proclaimed replacement suite of spreadsheets, word procesors, databases, for the common (and needlessly complicated, if more decorative, new versions of "Office" products.

Peter
unclepeter

Postby Debbie Smith » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:49 pm

I actually did try OpenOffice.org and found it to be VERY confusing.

I almost exclusively use the list form, but I need the ability to make reports, sort, filter, do mail merges, print mailing labels and set up merges for certificates among other things. I use Appleworks databases constantly. I know some of this can be done with a spreadsheet, but spreadsheets can't do what databases can do. Before Appleworks, I had Microsoft Works for Macintosh, a very similar program. Why are these types of programs becoming so scarce or obsolete? Any ideas?

I've searched the internet for another integrated progam without much luck.
Debbie Smith

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo