Font size in Database 'value list' field's pop-up menu

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Font size in Database 'value list' field's pop-up menu

Postby prunerfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 pm

I've occasionally created a 'value list' field in a database that resulted in tiny text in its pop-up menu. Usually the text in the pop-up menu matches the text size in the field itself, but not always. These are databases that were created in AppleWorks 5 and then moved to AppleWorks 6. The text size problem existed in both versions.

I would really appreciate any ideas on what I might have done wrong and how I might correct it. Nothing I've tried so far has had any effect.

Thanks for trying to help.
Prunerfly
prunerfly

Re: Font size in Database 'value list' field's pop-up menu

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 pm

prunerfly wrote:I've occasionally created a 'value list' field in a database that resulted in tiny text in its pop-up menu. Usually the text in the pop-up menu matches the text size in the field itself, but not always. These are databases that were created in AppleWorks 5 and then moved to AppleWorks 6. The text size problem existed in both versions.

I would really appreciate any ideas on what I might have done wrong and how I might correct it. Nothing I've tried so far has had any effect.

Prunerfly

Hi Pf,

I thought I had replied to this earlier, but apparently I neglected to send it. Sorry.

I don't know that you've done anything wrong, or whatis causing the problem. Here are a couple of suggestions that might solve it.

I'd start by trashing AppleWorks's preferences and cache files.
Go to your name > Library > Preferences and open that folder.
Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
Find and open the folder AppleWorks
Find and delete the two cache files, the preferences file and the Button Bars* file in this folder.

Trashing these files is a general First Aid step that solves many issues where AppleWorks is misbehaving. *If you've made changes to the Button Bar, and are experiencing NO problems that seem connected with the Button Bar, this file may be left in the folder.

If the suggestion above does not solve the problem. try resizing the text in the field definition.
Open the file, then press shift-command-L to enter Layout mode.
Click on the value list field, then go to the Format menu and choose a new size.
Press shift-command-B to return to Browse mode.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby prunerfly » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:07 am

Barry wrote:
prunerfly wrote:I've occasionally created a 'value list' field in a database that resulted in tiny text in its pop-up menu. Usually the text in the pop-up menu matches the text size in the field itself, but not always. These are databases that were created in AppleWorks 5 and then moved to AppleWorks 6. The text size problem existed in both versions.

Prunerfly

Hi Pf,

I thought I had replied to this earlier, but apparently I neglected to send it. Sorry.

I don't know that you've done anything wrong, or whatis causing the problem. Here are a couple of suggestions that might solve it.

I'd start by trashing AppleWorks's preferences and cache files.
Go to your name > Library > Preferences and open that folder.
Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
Find and open the folder AppleWorks
Find and delete the two cache files, the preferences file and the Button Bars* file in this folder.

Trashing these files is a general First Aid step that solves many issues where AppleWorks is misbehaving. *If you've made changes to the Button Bar, and are experiencing NO problems that seem connected with the Button Bar, this file may be left in the folder.

If the suggestion above does not solve the problem. try resizing the text in the field definition.
Open the file, then press shift-command-L to enter Layout mode.
Click on the value list field, then go to the Format menu and choose a new size.
Press shift-command-B to return to Browse mode.

Regards,
Barry

Thanks Barry,

I tried all. But they didn't help. After experimenting more, I've discovered what's specifically happening:

When viewed at 100%, the pop-up menu choices' size equals the item's size (and chosen item's size), but when viewed at any other magnification (smaller or larger) the pop-up choices remain at 100% while the final entry size changes with the magnification. Because I typically compose layouts with size 7 fonts to try to cram lots of information onto letter-size paper, these pop-ups appear tiny when viewing an entire page on screen.

I'm thinking that some fonts may react differently to these magnification changes, but why only in the pop-up menu, or only in certain fields in certain layouts? Guess I need to better define the instances in which this occurs. Perhaps avoiding certain fonts or sizes is the answer... or maybe recreating the offending fields and then deleting their corrupted twins.
PF
prunerfly

Postby Barry » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:32 pm

prunerfly wrote:I tried all. But they didn't help. After experimenting more, I've discovered what's specifically happening:

When viewed at 100%, the pop-up menu choices' size equals the item's size (and chosen item's size), but when viewed at any other magnification (smaller or larger) the pop-up choices remain at 100% while the final entry size changes with the magnification. Because I typically compose layouts with size 7 fonts to try to cram lots of information onto letter-size paper, these pop-ups appear tiny when viewing an entire page on screen.

I'm thinking that some fonts may react differently to these magnification changes, but why only in the pop-up menu, or only in certain fields in certain layouts? Guess I need to better define the instances in which this occurs. Perhaps avoiding certain fonts or sizes is the answer... or maybe recreating the offending fields and then deleting their corrupted twins.
PF

The issue is probably one of incompatability between the "old dog" (AppleWorks) and the "new tricks" (font scaling as done by the Quartz engine in OS X. You may be able to find some fonts that show the problem less drastically, but I don't think it's completely curable.

You might also try reducing your monitor resolution whne using AppleWorks. AW was originally written for a 72 dpi screen with a maximum size of 640x480 pixels. Try going to the lowest resolution avaialable on your machine. It'll look clunky, but may be more readable.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo