Assistants tab disappeared from Starting Points

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Postby npeafield » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 pm

I rarely use Starting Points, but when I tried today (looking for templates), I find that there is no "Assistants" tab in my Starting Points window. Any help much appreciated.

Nolan
npeafield

Re: Assistants tab disappeared from Starting Points

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am

npeafield wrote:I rarely use Starting Points, but when I tried today (looking for templates), I find that there is no "Assistants" tab in my Starting Points window. Any help much appreciated.

Nolan

Have you moved the AppleWorks application file out of the AppleWorks 6 folder? This is the most common cause for AW being unable to find things.

The AppleWorks 6 folder shoould be at Mac HD > Applications > AppleWorks 6.

Inside the folder you should find:

AppleWorks 6 (the application package)
AppleWorks Essentials
Clippings
Starting points (all folders)
and other items.

Inside Starting Points you should find Assistants (folder) and some other folders, each corresponding to one of the tabs on the Starting Points window.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby npeafield » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Barry,

Thanks for your response. The AW applications file is in the AW folder and contains everything you mentioned. However, all that's in the Starting Points folder is Cache and Recent Items. FYI, this is AW 6.2.9.

I also have AW 6.2.8 installed (in Mac OS 9), but apparently there's no folder for it, just the application. But there is a Starting Points folder also installed there, but containing the same thing: Cache and Recent Items. So far, I haven't been able to locate Assistants anywhere on my HD. Does this give you any clue to the problem?

Nolan
npeafield

Re: Assistants tab disappeared from Starting Points

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:52 am

npeafield wrote:Barry,

Thanks for your response. The AW applications file is in the AW folder and contains everything you mentioned. However, all that's in the Starting Points folder is Cache and Recent Items. FYI, this is AW 6.2.9.

I also have AW 6.2.8 installed (in Mac OS 9), but apparently there's no folder for it, just the application. But there is a Starting Points folder also installed there, but containing the same thing: Cache and Recent Items. So far, I haven't been able to locate Assistants anywhere on my HD. Does this give you any clue to the problem?

Nolan

AppleWorks 6.2.8 should be included as part of the AW 6.2.9 package, and the separate installation should be superfluous. Go to the Finder, then open Applications > AppleWorks 6.

Control click on the application package AppleWorks 6, and choose Show package contents from the popup menu.

Open the Contents folder in the new window. You should find three folders—Mac OS, Mac OS Classic, and Resources.

In the first and second folders, you should find aliases to AppleWorks Essentials, Clippings and Starting Points (folders) and an icon for the AppleWorks 6 application.

Click on the application icon,then press command-I to Get Info. You should find that the icn in the Mac OS folder is for AW6.2.9, and the one in the Mac OS Classic folder is for AW6.2.8.

The package (and the AppleWorks 6 folder enclosing it may be installed in either the Application folder or the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. The OS will find it in either case.

The Starting Points folder that is in the AppleWorks 6 folder in the Applications folder shoould not contain either Cache or Recent Items folders. AppleWorks keeps separate Recent Items and Cache folders for each User, and these are kept in a Starting Points folder located at Mac HD > Users > username > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points.

You may be experiencing one of those rare situations where it is necessary to reinstall AppleWorks from the disk that came with your computer.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Assistants disappeared from Starting Points

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Barry,

Alas, before reinstalling applications, I stupidly reinstalled OS X (10.2.7) when I had been running OS X (10.4.3). Now I can't access some apps.

Do you mind walking me through the steps to reinstall OS X 10.4.3?

Many thanks,

Nolan

Re: Assistants disappeared from Starting Points

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:53 pm

Anonymous wrote:Barry,

Alas, before reinstalling applications, I stupidly reinstalled OS X (10.2.7) when I had been running OS X (10.4.3). Now I can't access some apps.

Do you mind walking me through the steps to reinstall OS X 10.4.3?

Many thanks,

Nolan

I've never done a reinstall, and the only OS installation I've done was one of OS X 10.2.x (a few years ago). So weigh those facts when considering how reliable the following may be. :-)

Essentially, the process is pretty simple (but see the caution below before starting):

1. Back up everything to an external disk (or disks).
2. Insert the OS X install disk into the optical drive.
3. Go Apple menu > Restart. OK the restart.
4. When the screen goes dark, press and hold the C key to force the computer to startup from the CD/DVD drive.
5. When the progress indicator gear appears, release the C key and wait for startup to finish.
6. Caution applies at this point. I'm not near my disk, so can't tell you exact steps from here.

Somewhere in the process you will be offered a choice of what type of installation to perform. The two main types are:

Erase and install: This erases your entire hard drive (or the volume/partition on which you choose to do the installation, then installs the OS. BAD choice if you want to keep the files you have on the hard drive.

Archive and install: This moves the current OS files into a folder, names that folder "Previous Mac OS" (or something similar), then installs the 'new' OS.

6a. Check the menus on the installer screen for the above choices, and for choices of what to install. You'll probably want to install only Mac OS 10, and to do that through the Archive and install process. If that choice is not available, it will be offered later in the installation process.

7. If you have not launched the installer through a menu choice, you should find a button on the screen to do that.

8. Follow the screen prompts to choose where to install, what to install and whaty type of installation to do. You'll also be prompted to read and agree to the User agreement. The installer will indicate the step you're at in the process, and the steps to come, in a list on the left side of the window. Nothing will actuallly be done until you come to the 'install software' step.

9. When done, click Quit. The computer will restart, booting from the hard drive and running the new OS.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo