Database help

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database help

Postby Brad A » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 am

Hello,

I don't know how to go about this so I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I have an appleworks database that currently has about 3000 records in it. I have been asked if I could somehow find a way to share this database with others and possible upload it in some way to a website, so that other small schools in our region can view the shared resources that we have available.

What should I do in order to be able to share this around. In our cluster of schools only 2 have macs and the rest pc. As this database is updated on a regular basis when new resources arrive, our resource coordinator would need to be able to re-do whatever it is we end up doing.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatlt appreciated!

Brad

p.s. if the above makes no sense at all, I appologise :)
Brad A

Re: Database help for Brad A on sharing AppleWorks database

Postby feijoaman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 am

[quote="Brad A"]Hello,

I have an appleworks database that currently has about 3000 records in it. I have been asked if I could somehow find a way to share this database with others?

Sharing databases should be easy but often isn't. You have to open the AppleWorks database with the records and Save As another format (or Export to another format) that will be readable by other databases. Which format depends on what your AppleWorks version will convert it to and what other type of Application you want to read it. The most universal format is tab-delimited, and comma-separated (CSV) formats, which is a text file. This takes each field in order and separates each by a comma or a tab. This is supposed to be importable by other applications, and it usually works, especially in Excel. The problem is that multi-field databases get easily corrupted, so the information in the original file is often not clean. This is not often noticeable in Appleworks, or at least it doesn't hinder you from continuing to use it and print labels, etc. But when you try to export it to another application, things can get difficult. One post mentioned saving an AppleWorks 6 database s an AppleWorks 5 database, then reopening it in AppleWorks 6. These are the kind of tricks you may have to use to clean up your database to get a clean export. Apple Help suggests opening the exported text file in a text editor like TexEdit and cleaning it up from that program before trying to import it into other programs. So these are all tricks. Hope this helps. Let us know if you were successful and what tricks you used.
feijoaman

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo