Database with Multimedia Fields

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Postby Geert » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:54 am

L.S.
I am using a database created with AppleWorks 6.2.9. on an iBook G4 running MacOS X 10.3.9 (Yes I like industrial archaeology...)
I added a multimedia field to store pictures that are about 210 x 140 pixels large. My database contains no more than 65 records. I add the pictures by dragging jpg files into the multimedia field.

When I save, close and re-open the database file, there is at least 1 missing picture. When I add it again and save the file, the newly added picture disappears again. In some cases, the multimedia field turns blank. In other cases, it shows the picture of another database record. In rare cases, AppleWorks quits and my document becomes corrupted.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Geert.
Geert

Re: Database with Multimedia Fields

Postby Peggy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 am

Geert wrote:L.S.
I am using a database created with AppleWorks 6.2.9. on an iBook G4 running MacOS X 10.3.9 (Yes I like industrial archaeology...)
I added a multimedia field to store pictures that are about 210 x 140 pixels large. My database contains no more than 65 records. I add the pictures by dragging jpg files into the multimedia field.

When I save, close and re-open the database file, there is at least 1 missing picture. When I add it again and save the file, the newly added picture disappears again. In some cases, the multimedia field turns blank. In other cases, it shows the picture of another database record. In rare cases, AppleWorks quits and my document becomes corrupted.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Geert.

Databases, especially those with multimedia fields, are more prone to corruption than other AppleWorks file types. I always keep a copy of the database without the pictures just in case.

If you can open the corrupt database, you could save it as an AppleWorks 5 file with a different name & then open that file in AppleWorks 6. This will often remove minor corruption. You do not need to have AppleWorks 5 to do this.

.jpeg is not the best format for pictures in AppleWorks. AppleWorks changes the resolution of any graphic format except PICT to 72 dpi. The best solution to this problem is to save the image as PICT before inserting into AppleWorks. My favorite for this is GraphicConverter, but you can use Preview or Photoshop Elements or any other application that can save as PICT.
Peggy

Postby Geert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Converting the pictures to PICT before adding them to the database did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.

Geert.
Geert

Re: Database with Multimedia Fields

Postby Barry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Geert wrote:Converting the pictures to PICT before adding them to the database did the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.

Geert.

Even though it 'did the trick,' pay attention to Peggy's other advice regarding DBs with multimedia fields.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Geert » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Yes, I made a backup copy of my database without the pictures.
That's why I was able to restore the database after it became corrupted.
Many years experience with computers makes one careful...

Thank you for your concern.

Geert.
Geert

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo