getting started

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

getting started

Postby JohnnyP » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Old dog here (mac user since '83) needs to use a spreadsheet.

Say I enter a column of numbers into A, then want to multiply each by a constant and have the answers put into column B.

If I click in B1 and type =A*2 then press enter, I get #NAME!.

Also, how to enter the formula just once and have the SS calculate all the entries?

I downloaded the AW5 manual, but it didn't help.
JohnnyP

Re: getting started

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:41 am

JohnnyP wrote:Old dog here (mac user since '83) needs to use a spreadsheet.

Say I enter a column of numbers into A, then want to multiply each by a constant and have the answers put into column B.

If I click in B1 and type =A*2 then press enter, I get #NAME!.

Also, how to enter the formula just once and have the SS calculate all the entries?

I downloaded the AW5 manual, but it didn't help.

Click on B1, hold the mouse button down and drag to select B1..Bn where n is the last row in column A containing data.

Type =A1*2 then press command-D to Fill Down.

The formula will be entered in B1 and filled into the rest of the cells, with the row number modified in each.

In the AW 5 manual, Filling cells (with data or formulas) is covered on pages 7-8 and 7-9. Entering formulas is coverd starting on page 7-22. You can also find information on these topics in the AppleWorks Help files on your computer. With a spreadsheet open, go Help > AppleWorks Help. Separate searches for spreadsheet, formula and fill should bring up the relevan information.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby JohnnyP » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Excellent. Thank you very much.

John
JohnnyP

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo