Free download versus Paying

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Free download versus Paying

Postby Carl T » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:24 am

Hi,

This is a silly question. I am interested in downloading AppleWorks 6.2.9 Some sites offer it for free while other sites charge a fee. Why? Is one site better than another? I would appreciate your feedback.

I have a Mac Pro Leopard OS X 10.5.5 with iWorks '08 already installed.

I'm really interested in AW's database application.I am a record collector and I need to design my own template, have about 15 different size fields , a few button bars, a window for notes and an image window for photographs. My collection consists of: vinyl 45 R.P.M. singles, 78s, albums, CDs and DVDs, I skimmed iWorks Numbers. It doesn't appear to give me what I want. I am assuming AW's database application will allow me to create a database uniquely customized for my needs. Am I mistaken or should I consider a different database software program? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Carl T

Re: Free download versus Paying

Postby Peggy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:16 am

Carl T wrote:Hi,

This is a silly question. I am interested in downloading AppleWorks 6.2.9 Some sites offer it for free while other sites charge a fee. Why? Is one site better than another? I would appreciate your feedback.

I'm really interested in AW's database application.I am a record collector and I need to design my own template, have about 15 different size fields , a few button bars, a window for notes and an image window for photographs. My collection consists of: vinyl 45 R.P.M. singles, 78s, albums, CDs and DVDs, I skimmed iWorks Numbers. It doesn't appear to give me what I want. I am assuming AW's database application will allow me to create a database uniquely customized for my needs. Am I mistaken or should I consider a different database software program? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Only AppleWorks updaters are free. The application itself is not, it must be purchased.
Peggy

Re: Free download versus Paying

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:21 am

Carl T wrote:Hi,

AppleWorks is not and has never been legally available for download. The AppleWorks 6.2.9 updater is available for free download form Apple. The updater requires that you have an installed copy of AppleWorks 6.x to be updated.

You can find AppleWorks 6.2.4 at Hardcore Mac, and can occasionally find versions of AppleWorks 6 on eBay or similar sites. Your MacPro will require a disk containing an OS X version of the installer application, so check with the seller if the installer on the disk runs in OS X or in Classic/OS 9.

BTW: iWork has no 's'.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Thank You Peggy and Thank You Barry

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 pm

I wish to thank both of you for your time and knowledge on my behalf.

It seems both of you may know more about this than AppleCare's team :-) They should hire you as a team.

Barry, I took your advice and checked out Hardcoremac. They do have AppleWorks 6.2.4 for $49.99 There system requirements stated it runs Mac OS X through 10.5

The last few steps sound simple enough. First, install AppleWorks 6.2.4 Second, install AppleWorks 6.2.9 updater. DONE!
Carl

Re: Thank You Peggy and Thank You Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 am

Carl wrote:I wish to thank both of you for your time and knowledge on my behalf.

It seems both of you may know more about this than AppleCare's team :-) They should hire you as a team.

Barry, I took your advice and checked out Hardcoremac. They do have AppleWorks 6.2.4 for $49.99 There system requirements stated it runs Mac OS X through 10.5

The last few steps sound simple enough. First, install AppleWorks 6.2.4 Second, install AppleWorks 6.2.9 updater. DONE!

Thanks you Carl. See my reply to you 'new topic' post.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo