ClarisWorks 5.0 to iWork

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

ClarisWorks 5.0 to iWork

Postby prcadogan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:43 am

I have worked for over 15 years on a succession of Macs, using various versions of ClarisWorks which I still love using. My current machine is a dual boot G4, running both OS 9.1 and OS X 10.3.9. I am now considering buying an iMac running OS X 10.5 and getting iWork to run on it.

Is there any way I can open my ClarisWorks files with iWork (they are all either WP or SS files) ? Or there any intermediate steps I can take to avoid having to re-write a lot of files in a new application.

I feel like a schizophrenic dinosaur but ClarisWorks has been just great. Any help gratefully received.

Pete
prcadogan

Move

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:44 am

Stay with AppleWorks! I have a new iMac 24 with OSX 10.5.6 and it works without any problems.

I also have iWorks 08 and have converted some documents but still really like AW.

Bob in Arizona
BlueHeron

ClarisWorks 5.0 to OS X 10.5

Postby prcadogan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Thank you, Bob. I believe that ClarisWorks 5.0 got renamed AppleWorks 5.0. But AW then went on to v6.

Do you mean that I could install ClarisWorks 5.0 straight on to a new iMac running OSX 10.5? [Probably not?]

Or would I need to get a copy of AppleWorks 6.0, which presumably you have (?), and then install it on the iMac? Where could I get the AW 6 from ?

Or would iWork convert my old CW 5.0 files ?

More help much appreciated. It's all a bit unknown to me.

Pete
prcadogan

Re: ClarisWorks 5.0 to OS X 10.5

Postby Barry » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:04 pm

prcadogan wrote:Thank you, Bob. I believe that ClarisWorks 5.0 got renamed AppleWorks 5.0. But AW then went on to v6.

Do you mean that I could install ClarisWorks 5.0 straight on to a new iMac running OSX 10.5? [Probably not?]

Or would I need to get a copy of AppleWorks 6.0, which presumably you have (?), and then install it on the iMac? Where could I get the AW 6 from ?

Or would iWork convert my old CW 5.0 files ?

More help much appreciated. It's all a bit unknown to me.

Pete

Hi Pete,

ClarisWorks/AppleWorks 5 is an OS 9 and earlier )"Classic") only application. Leopard (OS X v10.5) does not support the Classic environment, necessary to run these apps under OS X, nor do any of the intel based Macs boot into OS 9.
Short Answer: CW/AW 5 will not run on any current Mac.

AppleWorks 6.2.x runs natively in OS X. It is a PPS application, so it uses Rosetta to run on an intel processor. Apple no longer sells or supports AppleWorks.

You can occasionally find versions of AppleWorks 6 on eBay or similar sites. Your new iMac will require a disk containing an OS X version of the installer application, so check with the seller if the installer on the disk runs in OS X or in Classic/OS 9.

You can find AppleWorks 6.2.4 at Hardcore Mac.

6.2.4 and 6.2.9 are the best versions of AW to use in OS X. AW 6.2.7, the version between these, introduced a number of new bugs, and should be avoided.

Any AW 6 version can be updated to 6.2.9 using the updater available from Apple.

iWork will open AW 6 word processor, spreadsheet or presentation files, but may not translate all of the features correctly. The iWork applications will not open AW/CW 5 files (or files from earlier versions).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

ClarisWorks 5.0 to iWork08

Postby prcadogan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 am

I am very grateful to Bob and Barry.

One last question to complete the link. If I install AW 6.2.4 on a new iMac, will it convert my ClarisWorks 5.0 files, or would I need to make some intermediate steps ?

It is brilliant to have such well informed help available. Thank you so much.

Pete
prcadogan

Re: ClarisWorks 5.0 to iWork08

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:35 pm

prcadogan wrote:I am very grateful to Bob and Barry.

One last question to complete the link. If I install AW 6.2.4 on a new iMac, will it convert my ClarisWorks 5.0 files, or would I need to make some intermediate steps ?

It is brilliant to have such well informed help available. Thank you so much.

Pete

AW 6.2.4 will open ClarisWorks 5 files, will present an alert that the file was created by an earlier version of AppleWorks, and unless you change the setting in AppleWorks Preferences, will add "[v6.0]" to the file name.

The update from 6.2.4 to 6.2.9 fixes a few bugs. The most useful feature it adds is support for scroll wheel mice. Your new iMac will come with Apple's Mighty Mouse, and you'll find yourself regularly using its scroll ball.

The route I would suggest is to install AW 6.2.4, immediately save a copy of the whole AppleWorks 6 folder on a separate drive, then download and apply the AW 6.2.9 update.

AW 6.2.9 is unable to open some files from earlier versions of ClarisWorks. Which files this affects seems unpredictable, and I've yet to come across any, but others report that 6.2.9 is the only version showing this problem, so it is useful to keep an earlier version of AW 6 handy to deal with it. (IIRD, the problem does not include files created be AW/CW 5).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

ClarisWorks 5.0 to iMac OSX

Postby prcadogan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Barry, you are a star. Many thanks. I am now fully equipped to make the transition.

My son in California will be able to get AW 6 for me. The hardcoremac website doesn't ship outside US/Canada.

Am really grateful for all your help.

Pete
prcadogan

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo