DATABASE PROBLEM. Changing rectangular field sizes.

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

DATABASE PROBLEM. Changing rectangular field sizes.

Postby Carl » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:31 pm

I have 3 records in my database. All 3 are driving me nuts. I am using Appleworks 6.2.9 I use a Mac Pro Leopard OS X (10.5.6)

I am trying to create a database for my vinyl record collection. I have successfully created 11 fields, 2 of which have pop-up menus. The fields correctly contain all the data. Options is not a problem. I even created a field for comments. I have a proto-type field layout for my records. Life is very good!!!!

LIFE IN HELL: Any change in the rectangular field size in one record seems to affect either one or both of the other records. I can't seem to go 3 for 3. When I review my finished work, one of my records is always coming out wrong. Each and every time in one of the records, data is not where it's supposed to be.

What did I do? Complete record #1, go to Browse. Record #1 looks good. I highlight <save> in the FILE menu. Next, in EDIT, I choose <New Record>.

Now I work on record #2. I do the data entry. I change the rectangular size in 2 of my fields. I make no other changes. Go to Browse. Record #2 looks good. I highlight <save> in the FILE menu. In EDIT, I choose <New Record>

I work on record #3, enter the data, change the rectangular size in 2 of my fields, go to Browse. Record #3 looks good. I highlight <save> in the FILE menu.

Any ideas??? What am I doing wrong???

Carl
Carl

Re: DATABASE PROBLEM. Changing rectangular field sizes.

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:58 am

Carl wrote:I have 3 records in my database. All 3 are driving me nuts. I am using Appleworks 6.2.9 I use a Mac Pro Leopard OS X (10.5.6)

I am trying to create a database for my vinyl record collection. I have successfully created 11 fields, 2 of which have pop-up menus. The fields correctly contain all the data. Options is not a problem. I even created a field for comments. I have a proto-type field layout for my records. Life is very good!!!!

LIFE IN HELL: Any change in the rectangular field size in one record seems to affect either one or both of the other records. I can't seem to go 3 for 3. When I review my finished work, one of my records is always coming out wrong. Each and every time in one of the records, data is not where it's supposed to be.

What did I do? Complete record #1, go to Browse. Record #1 looks good. I highlight <save> in the FILE menu. Next, in EDIT, I choose <New Record>.

Now I work on record #2. I do the data entry. I change the rectangular size in 2 of my fields. I make no other changes. Go to Browse. Record #2 looks good. I highlight <save> in the FILE menu. In EDIT, I choose <New Record>

I work on record #3, enter the data, change the rectangular size in 2 of my fields, go to Browse. Record #3 looks good. I highlight <save> in the FILE menu.

Hi Carl,

You cannot change the visual size of a field in a single record. Each Layout is a master page that applies to all records in the database. Any change you make in Layout mode is a change to the Layout, and applies to the display of every record.

If you set a field frame to a size too small to display all of the contained text, that field will expand downward when the insertion point is placed in the field, and collapse to the defined size when the insertion point is moved out of the field, hiding the last row or more of text.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo