Appleworks going mad

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks going mad

Postby pippinmac » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:18 am

I was trying to set up a layout to print labels on a strip of labels held in a cardboard box. Everything was going fine until AW started adding pages after the page I was working on. It was up to page 18 when I stopped it.Previously it would not open a duplicated file.

Should I remove the application and re-install? Will this affect any work already created?
pippinmac

Re: Appleworks going mad

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 pm

pippinmac wrote:I was trying to set up a layout to print labels on a strip of labels held in a cardboard box. Everything was going fine until AW started adding pages after the page I was working on. It was up to page 18 when I stopped it.Previously it would not open a duplicated file.

Should I remove the application and re-install? Will this affect any work already created?

Probably not, and probably not, depending on where you've stored that work.

What type of document were you using?
What do you mean by "AW started adding pages after the page I was working on"?
What content was on these pages?
What did you do that stopped it?

Not opening a duplicated file is a separate issue. Let's concentrate on the other one first.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby pippinmac » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:26 pm

It was a word processing document. |The first page consisted of Music Titles 6 spaces apart ready to be printed on a strip of labels. I had completed that and then noticed that blank pages were being added without my doing anything. The only way I could stop was by closing the whole document.

AW had shut down several times before that so I restarted my machine. I have reinstalled AW but am still having problems.
pippinmac

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:04 pm

pippinmac wrote:It was a word processing document. |The first page consisted of Music Titles 6 spaces apart ready to be printed on a strip of labels. I had completed that and then noticed that blank pages were being added without my doing anything. The only way I could stop was by closing the whole document.

AW had shut down several times before that so I restarted my machine. I have reinstalled AW but am still having problems.

The extra pages were probably due to your having leaned your elbow (or something else) of the enter key at the bottom right corner of the keyboard. The same thing would happen if another key were stuck down and enter was tapped.

Enter inserts a column break, which on a single column document has an effect similar to a page break. The record in my elementary school class was something over 1000 blank pages, discovered only after the document had been sent to the printer.

After an installation (or a reinstallation), you should do two maintenance tasks, one for AppleWorks and one for the system.

Quit AppleWorks if it's running. In the Finder, go to yourname > Library > Preferences.
Locate and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
In the same folder,locate and open the folder AppleWorks.
Delete the Preferences files and cache files inside that folder.

AppleWorks will build new versions of these files as it needs them. If you have set any custom preferences, you will need to reset those.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

AppleWorks going mad

Postby pippinmac » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:10 am

Thank you for your help. It is so long since I have had any problems with my computer that I had forgotten that Preferences tip.
pippinmac

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo