AppleWorks 6.2.9 Crashes …

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Postby Alan Agardi » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:36 pm

AppleWorks crashes ALL of the time under 2 conditions: 1) when I try to launch the application to get to the Create New Document splash screen; 2) when I close the last remaining open document. Then a dialogue box opens up to "Ignore, Report … or Relaunch".

Is this a common phenomenon? What can be done to remedy it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Setup: AppleWorks 6.2.9 on iMac (spring, 2009), Mac OS 10.5.6
Alan Agardi

Re: AppleWorks 6.2.9 Crashes …

Postby Barry » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Alan Agardi wrote:AppleWorks crashes ALL of the time under 2 conditions: 1) when I try to launch the application to get to the Create New Document splash screen; 2) when I close the last remaining open document. Then a dialogue box opens up to "Ignore, Report … or Relaunch".

Is this a common phenomenon? What can be done to remedy it?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Setup: AppleWorks 6.2.9 on iMac (spring, 2009), Mac OS 10.5.6

Hi Alan,

When AppleWorks suddenly starts misbehaving, the first trouble-shooting step to take is to delete the preferences files.

AppleWorks keeps a set of prefs and cache files for each user. You'll find them at:

home > Library > Preferences
Locate and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
Then, still in the Preferences folder, locate and open the AppleWorks folder.
Delete the prefs file and the two cache files in that folder.

Deleting the prefs files is a step to be taken after any crash, or when AppleWorks has stopped working in its usual way.

Then, before you relaunch AppleWorks, you might as well do a bit of preventive maintenance.

Go to home > Documents > AppleWorks User Documents > Starting Points > Recent Items.
Open the Recent Items folder and delete all or most of the enclosed items.

AppleWorks spends more and more time checking the recent items folder as it becomes filled with more and more items. Tossing all or most of them generally speeds things up.

BTW, AppleWorks will rebuild the preference and cache files as it needs them, and will continue to add items to the Recent Items folder as you work on new files.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Alan Agardi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:14 am

Barry -

Thanks - that seems to have helped.

It's strange, though - because I had just started using AW. It's not like I'd been using it for months.

Alan
Alan Agardi

Re: AppleWorks 6.2.9 Crashes …

Postby Barry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Alan Agardi wrote:Barry -

Thanks - that seems to have helped.

It's strange, though - because I had just started using AW. It's not like I'd been using it for months.

Alan

Recent Items take a while to build up, but there's no 'schedule' for something corrupting the preferences. ;-)

Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo