Using Appleworks 6.x Windows version

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Using Appleworks 6.x Windows version

Postby jeffneedle » Sat May 23, 2009 2:35 pm

I've just obtained Appleworks 6 for Windows. Nice interface, lots of features -- I really like it.

My problem -- getting my old info into the database, the spreadsheet, and the word processor.

Most apps will read and write csv files into their database and spreadsheet modules, but Appleworks seems unaware of this standard data format.

Is there a way to get my old info into Appleworks? I've looked on the web, and found some Mac-based tools, but nothing or the PC.

Thanks.
jeffneedle

Re: Using Appleworks 6.x Windows version

Postby Peggy » Sat May 23, 2009 4:12 pm

jeffneedle wrote:I've just obtained Appleworks 6 for Windows. Nice interface, lots of features -- I really like it.

My problem -- getting my old info into the database, the spreadsheet, and the word processor.

Most apps will read and write csv files into their database and spreadsheet modules, but Appleworks seems unaware of this standard data format.

Is there a way to get my old info into Appleworks? I've looked on the web, and found some Mac-based tools, but nothing or the PC.

Thanks.

AppleWorks uses tab-delimited text. If you still have the program that created the files, see if it will export or save as ASCII text, plain text or tab-delimited text - they all end up the same as far as AppleWorks is concerned.

I really don't recommend investing a lot of time & effort learning AppleWorks. It was declared "end-of-life" by Apple nearly two years ago & hasn't been updated in over five years.
Peggy

Postby jeffneedle » Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 am

Well, I re-exported the data -- from Microsoft Excel, to tab-delimited plain text. No go -- Appleworks won't import the data.

Thanks for the lead. If others have any ideas, I'll be very glad to hear them.

Thanks again.
jeffneedle

Postby Barry » Wed May 27, 2009 12:57 am

jeffneedle wrote:Well, I re-exported the data -- from Microsoft Excel, to tab-delimited plain text. No go -- Appleworks won't import the data.

Thanks for the lead. If others have any ideas, I'll be very glad to hear them.

Thanks again.

Three possibilities:

Does your exported file have a .txt extension>

Some versions of AppleWorks (Mac) included bundled translators for MS Word and MS Excel files in the folrmats used with Office 97 and 2000 (and XP). Does your version offer those choices in the Open dialogue?

You may be able to open your .csv files into AW's word processor module, then use Find/Change to change the commas to tabs, then copy and paste into a spreadsheet or DB file.

Regards,
Barry

PS: I concur with Peggy's remarks regarding EOL and lack of recent development of AppleWorks.
Barry

Postby jeffneedle » Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 pm

I've tried it several ways, including the .txt extension. And this version of Appleworks doesn't include the translators. And it won't open in WP.

I think I'll move on to another product.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions.
jeffneedle

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo