Transfer of files from Clarisworks 5.0 on System 9.2 to XP

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Transfer of files from Clarisworks 5.0 on System 9.2 to XP

Postby steveg1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 am

I've been using Clarisworks 5.0 forever. I have about 10,000 work files. Most of these have charts embedded so that they can't be opened by Word.

I now have to use a new PC in the office. I'd like to transfer those files to the PC, but am having trouble.

Will Appleworks 5.0 for Windows work? How do I batch change the file names on my Mac to .WPS?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
steveg1

Re: Transfer of files from Clarisworks 5.0 on System 9.2 to

Postby Peggy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am

steveg1 wrote:I've been using Clarisworks 5.0 forever. I have about 10,000 work files. Most of these have charts embedded so that they can't be opened by Word.

I now have to use a new PC in the office. I'd like to transfer those files to the PC, but am having trouble.

Will Appleworks 5.0 for Windows work? How do I batch change the file names on my Mac to .WPS?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

I think your best option is AppleWorks 5 for Windows. You can sometimes find it on eBay. Search in the Apple Software section for "AppleWorks" or "Apple Works" (some people put a "space" in the name). AppleWorks 5 came on a hybrid disk with both the Mac & PC versions. I used AW5 for Windows in both Windows 95 & XP for years at work.

The main issue you will have is that the files need to have the .cwk extension. AppleWorks can add it, but it's not on by default in the Mac version. There is an AppleScript in OS X that can add extensions to folders full of files at once but I don't know if a script exists for OS 9.
Peggy

Postby pgabor9 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am

I have a similar problem. I created a database file with ClarisWorks 5.0 for Windows. Then I had a major computer crash, so I had to reinstall Windows XP and all of my software. I still have the ClarisWorks CD but I cannot find the serial number an without it I cannot reinstall it. The file does have the .cwk suffix on it. I need to be able to translate or read this file. Can anybody help me? If I send the file as an attachment to an e-mail, can someone translate it for me and send it back. It is nothing confidential, it is simply all of my wife's recipes.
pgabor9

Postby Barry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 pm

pgabor9 wrote:I have a similar problem. I created a database file with ClarisWorks 5.0 for Windows. Then I had a major computer crash, so I had to reinstall Windows XP and all of my software. I still have the ClarisWorks CD but I cannot find the serial number an without it I cannot reinstall it. The file does have the .cwk suffix on it. I need to be able to translate or read this file. Can anybody help me? If I send the file as an attachment to an e-mail, can someone translate it for me and send it back. It is nothing confidential, it is simply all of my wife's recipes.

AppleWorks/ClarisWorks for Mac had space for a serial number in the installation process, but IIRC, anything could be entered into the space. Don't know if that's also the case with AW5(Win).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo