Correct AppleWorks 6.2.4 version for G4/OS 10.4.11

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Correct AppleWorks 6.2.4 version for G4/OS 10.4.11

Postby paper and pencil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi,

• Is the following the proper AppleWorks installation CD for a G4 with hard drive partitioned into OS 10.4.11 and 9.1?

“e Mac Applications,” CD v1.5, 691-3483-A, slate-grey color. Contains AppleWorks 6.2.3/6.2.4. Purchased from hardcoremac in 2007 for another computer.

I see various package types and versions of AppleWorks offered. I want to be sure that I don’t install the wrong flavor.

I’d like to replace AppleWorks 6.2.9 with 6.2.4.

This is an attempt to cure a problem in Database, where “Find Next” stops responding, and the vertical ribbon greys out.

Some of my field names exceed 64 characters. I understand 6.2.4 supports these long field names, but 6.2.9 does not. Perhaps this is the cause of my problem.

Many thanks to all for your past help,

Bob
paper and pencil

Re: Correct AppleWorks 6.2.4 version for G4/OS 10.4.11

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:14 am

paper and pencil wrote:Hi,

• Is the following the proper AppleWorks installation CD for a G4 with hard drive partitioned into OS 10.4.11 and 9.1?

“e Mac Applications,” CD v1.5, 691-3483-A, slate-grey color. Contains AppleWorks 6.2.3/6.2.4. Purchased from hardcoremac in 2007 for another computer.

I see various package types and versions of AppleWorks offered. I want to be sure that I don’t install the wrong flavor.

I’d like to replace AppleWorks 6.2.9 with 6.2.4.

This is an attempt to cure a problem in Database, where “Find Next” stops responding, and the vertical ribbon greys out.

Some of my field names exceed 64 characters. I understand 6.2.4 supports these long field names, but 6.2.9 does not. Perhaps this is the cause of my problem.

Many thanks to all for your past help,

Bob

Hi Bob,

How did you create the database document with fieldnames that "exceed 64 characters"? I've just attempted this in AW 6.2.9, AW 6.2.8 and AW 5.0.3. In all three cases the Create button dims (greys out) when I type the 64th character, and does not allow me to create the field.

Second question: Why would you want a field name of this length?
AppleWorks uses the field name as the default label for the field when you place the field on a layout, but the label, once created, is independent of the field, and may be edited and positioned as you see fit. Use a short field name, then put the long 'name' you want to display beside the field into the text frame containing the name of the field when you insert that field into a layout.

Regarding your installation disk: Grey disks are the installation disks supplied with specific models of Mac, in your case, supplied with the eMac. Grey disks supplied with more recent Macs will run only on the model they were intended for, but I think that restriction came later than this disk.

AppleWorks 6.2.4 is AppleWorks 6.2.4, no matter what installation disk it comes on. 6.2.4 is one of two AW versions that will run well on OS X (including Tiger); the other is 6.2.9. If the disk will mount and open on your machine, and if the Installer will run, then AppleWorks 6.2.4/6.2.3 will run on your G4.

But I'm not convinced that there's a need to install 6.2.4 in place of 6.2.9, nor am I convinced that doing so will make an improvement.

You described the immediate problem as:
"This is an attempt to cure a problem in Database, where “Find Next” stops responding, and the vertical ribbon greys out."

I'm not certain what you mean by "the vertical ribbon," but I'm assuming you mean the blue thumb in the vertical scroll bar at the right of the window. If so, what you're seeing is normal behaviour: The thumbs (and other coloured elements in the window's 'frame') are coloured only when the window is the Active window. They should go grey as soon as you press command-F or open the Find/Change window using the Edit menu). When Find/Change opens, its dialogue becomes the active window, and the thumbs and 'gumdrops' in the document window immediately go grey. That's normal behaviour.

But Find Next not responding is not normal behaviour. The only case for which Find Next should give the appearance of responding is when the visible records contain only a single instance of the search string. Find Next will search to the end of the DB, then start over at the beginning. The next occurrence of the string will be the same one as was found previously—on the screen,it will look like nothing has happened.

As AppleWorks is not acting correctly, I would suspect corrupted preferences, or some corruption in the database file itself. Before installing an older version, I'd suggest reading Peggy's and my posts in the discussion at the url below, and running through the steps suggested.

http://www.awug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3644

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo