Recent Items Folder & Auto Save Folder

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Recent Items Folder & Auto Save Folder

Postby DrewSpangler » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 am

This morning I emptied both of these folders to make my AppleWorks go faster. When I emptied the trash there were over 1000 files. I just ask the question about securing my opening dates that have been lost when transferring data to a thumb drive. Did I just toss out 10 years of opening dates? It’s all gone now isn’t it. I used secure trash! This is very distressing. I have been groaning out loud every since I did this! I should have download this to a CD first. Right? -Drew
DrewSpangler

Re: Recent Items Folder & Auto Save Folder

Postby Barry » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:49 am

DrewSpangler wrote:This morning I emptied both of these folders to make my AppleWorks go faster. When I emptied the trash there were over 1000 files. I just ask the question about securing my opening dates that have been lost when transferring data to a thumb drive. Did I just toss out 10 years of opening dates? It’s all gone now isn’t it. I used secure trash! This is very distressing. I have been groaning out loud every since I did this! I should have download this to a CD first. Right? -Drew

You did, it is, and you should have.
Emptying the Trash removes or disables the directory entry and marks the space occupied by the files as available. The data is still there until the space is claimed for a later write.
Secure Emptying the Trash does that as well, but also overwrites the space occupied by the file(s) with ones, zeroes, or both, effectively removing any data that was there.

Unless you made a backup of the files, they're gone. Unless the backup was to a Mac HFS or HFS+ formatted disk, the creation date is gone.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo