Appleworks and Snow Leopard 10.6

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks and Snow Leopard 10.6

Postby ranscoyote » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:18 am

I have just installed Snow leopard on a MacBook Pro and I am having problems with printing from Appleworks spreadsheet or database. If I have just opened a Database file I can print select options and print ok but if I then go to a Spreadsheet file I can not select either "All pages" "Left Pages" "Right Pages" "Print Column Heading""Print Row Heading" or "Print Cell Grid". However it will work if I print a Spreadsheet file first and then go to a Database file next there are no problems. I have the latest Brother drivers available for my printer.

Has anyone else had this type of problem and do you have a fix as Applecare could not help with this problem ?
ranscoyote

Re: Appleworks and Snow Leopard 10.6

Postby Peggy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:44 am

ranscoyote wrote:I have just installed Snow leopard on a MacBook Pro and I am having problems with printing from Appleworks spreadsheet or database. If I have just opened a Database file I can print select options and print ok but if I then go to a Spreadsheet file I can not select either "All pages" "Left Pages" "Right Pages" "Print Column Heading""Print Row Heading" or "Print Cell Grid". However it will work if I print a Spreadsheet file first and then go to a Database file next there are no problems. I have the latest Brother drivers available for my printer.

Has anyone else had this type of problem and do you have a fix as Applecare could not help with this problem ?

I no longer have a Brother printer connected to my Macs. I'm using two old AppleTalk laser printers connected to a Mac mini as a printer server, so I can't test your specific situation. I would start with the usual suggestions. Whenever you do an update, it's a good idea to do two maintenance tasks, one for the system (Repair Permissions) and one for AppleWorks (delete preferences). (Thanks to Barry for this way to format this very common answer.)

To Repair permissions, launch Disk Utility, found in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder, click on First Aid, then on Repair Permissions.

To delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them.
Peggy

Re: Appleworks and Snow Leopard 10.6

Postby ranscoyote » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:12 am

Peggy wrote:
ranscoyote wrote:I have just installed Snow leopard on a MacBook Pro and I am having problems with printing from Appleworks spreadsheet or database. If I have just opened a Database file I can print select options and print ok but if I then go to a Spreadsheet file I can not select either "All pages" "Left Pages" "Right Pages" "Print Column Heading""Print Row Heading" or "Print Cell Grid". However it will work if I print a Spreadsheet file first and then go to a Database file next there are no problems. I have the latest Brother drivers available for my printer.

I no longer have a Brother printer connected to my Macs. I'm using two old AppleTalk laser printers connected to a Mac mini as a printer server, so I can't test your specific situation. I would start with the usual suggestions. Whenever you do an update, it's a good idea to do two maintenance tasks, one for the system (Repair Permissions) and one for AppleWorks (delete preferences). (Thanks to Barry for this way to format this very common answer.)

To Repair permissions, launch Disk Utility, found in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder, click on First Aid, then on Repair Permissions.

To delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them.
ranscoyote

Postby ranscoyote » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 am

Many thanks for your help Peggy. It would appear to be working but I will probably start using Numbers or Excel for my spreadsheets and Filemaker Pro for my database files.
ranscoyote

Postby Peggy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:14 am

ranscoyote wrote:Many thanks for your help Peggy. It would appear to be working but I will probably start using Numbers or Excel for my spreadsheets and Filemaker Pro for my database files.

You can download trials of both iWork '09 & Office 2008.

Although there is nothing that can directly import your AppleWorks database files, you might take a look at iList Data. It's much less expensive than FileMaker & does a lot more than Bento (worthless IMHO)
Peggy

appleworks and Snow Leopard 10.6

Postby ranscoyote » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi Again Peggy

Last night when I did a software update a new Brother driver was downloaded and now Appleworks printing works fine. Thanks for all your advice. Regards
ranscoyote

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo