Opening some REALLY old files

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Opening some REALLY old files

Postby fcaravella » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello,

I am trying to open some ClarisWorks drawing files from 1995 (yes, I know) in AppleWorks 6.2.9. I was able to open them (in 6.2.4 anyway--as soon as I upgraded, I could no longer open the old versions) and save them as 6.0 files. However, none of the fonts show up as before.

These files have a lot of font information in them and reconstructing them would take a very long time. But I'd even be willing to do that if there was a way to find out exactly which fonts are missing.

So, I guess I have two questions: 1) is there a way to open these files in AW6 and preserve the old font information? and/or 2) is there a way to determine exactly what font used to occupy a given text block?

Please let me know if I left out any pertinent information.

Frank
fcaravella

Re: Opening some REALLY old files

Postby Peggy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:41 pm

fcaravella wrote:Hello,

I am trying to open some ClarisWorks drawing files from 1995 (yes, I know) in AppleWorks 6.2.9. I was able to open them (in 6.2.4 anyway--as soon as I upgraded, I could no longer open the old versions) and save them as 6.0 files. However, none of the fonts show up as before.

These files have a lot of font information in them and reconstructing them would take a very long time. But I'd even be willing to do that if there was a way to find out exactly which fonts are missing.

So, I guess I have two questions: 1) is there a way to open these files in AW6 and preserve the old font information? and/or 2) is there a way to determine exactly what font used to occupy a given text block?

Please let me know if I left out any pertinent information.

Frank

Welcome to AWUG forums

1995 isn't that long ago. ClarisWorks/AppleWorks 5 was released then. My guess is your files are ClarisWorks 4 or earlier. AppleWorks 6.2.9 cannot open all of these files. It returns an I/O error. As you found, they can be opened by any other version of AppleWorks 6. This is why I keep a copy of AppleWorks 6.2.4 on my Mac. You can have both versions as long as you don't open them both at the same time as they share preferences & would get confused.
Peggy

Postby fcaravella » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks Peggy. I'll reinstall a copy of 6.2.4.

The font thing is still the real issue. I know most of the fonts are installed on my computer, but they just don't show up on screen when I update the old files.
fcaravella

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo