Appleworks and OS 10.5.6

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks and OS 10.5.6

Postby Sliphorn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:34 pm

I just set up a new iMac for my father-in-law and copied items from his old HD. I could not get Appleworks docs or app to open, even though I planted it in the Dock. Apple Tech said to install Appleworks (and reminded me that Apple has abandoned this software). If I cannot find the original install disc for Appleworks, how can I get it to work, and I am assuming it will work in this OS.

Also, he has a Now Leopard installation disc and before using it, will Appleworks work with this as well?

Thanks.
Sliphorn

Re: Appleworks and OS 10.5.6

Postby Barry » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Sliphorn wrote:I just set up a new iMac for my father-in-law and copied items from his old HD. I could not get Appleworks docs or app to open, even though I planted it in the Dock. Apple Tech said to install Appleworks (and reminded me that Apple has abandoned this software). If I cannot find the original install disc for Appleworks, how can I get it to work, and I am assuming it will work in this OS.

Also, he has a Now Leopard installation disc and before using it, will Appleworks work with this as well?

AppleWorks works with Leopard (10.5.8) on my iMac, and with Snow Leopard (10.6.x) provided Rosetta is installed. From the reports I've read, if you do not instsall Rosetta during the SL installation, Snow Leopard will ask if you want to install it when/if you attempt to launch software that requires it.

If you still have your dad's old HD, you can copy the AppleWorks 6 folder and its contents from the Applications folder on the old machine to the Applications folder on the new one. AppleWorks will generate any other files it needs as the need arises.

If you've already disposed of the old machine, you can get an AppleWorks install disk from eBay, Craig's List, Kijiji, or somewhere similar. The difficulty there is ensuring that the installer will work in OS X, as Leopard does not support Classic.

When last checked, Hard Core Mac had copies of AW 6.2.4 available on disks with the OS X version of the installer. That might be your best route.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo