Font Issue

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Font Issue

Postby RexinMinn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:12 am

I'm working on a new mac (a year old) but still using Appleworks (Pages drives me crazy). Just tonight I noticed when I use one of my favorite fonts, Gill Sans, the quotes and double quotes are not printing. I'm thinking the font needs to be replaced. How do I go about replacing a font and then making sure it prints out properly?
RexinMinn

Re: Font Issue

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:21 am

Hmm, interesting. Do Gil Sans quotes and double quotes appear in any other application on your new Mac?
Tim
AWUG/iWUG Webmaster
Tim

Postby RexinMinn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:06 am

Yes, they do. I copied and pasted a section of text from Appleworks in which various quotes and double quotes were present into Pages, then printed. The diacritical marks in question printed. I ran a reverse experiment, creating a doc from Pages and pasting it into an Appleworks file and printed it, and the marks did not print. To make matters even more interesting, when I create a doc in Pages and italicize and boldface certain words, then copy/paste the same doc into Appleworks, the italics and bolds go away. And it isn't my fault!
RexinMinn

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:32 pm

RexinMinn wrote:Yes, they do. I copied and pasted a section of text from Appleworks in which various quotes and double quotes were present into Pages, then printed. The diacritical marks in question printed. I ran a reverse experiment, creating a doc from Pages and pasting it into an Appleworks file and printed it, and the marks did not print. To make matters even more interesting, when I create a doc in Pages and italicize and boldface certain words, then copy/paste the same doc into Appleworks, the italics and bolds go away. And it isn't my fault!

Have you updated AppleWorks to the latest version, 6.2.9? You can grab the update here:

"http://support.apple.com/downloads/AppleWorks_6_2_9_for_Mac"
Tim
AWUG/iWUG Webmaster
Tim

Postby RexinMinn » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:02 am

Thank you! I had no idea updates were available. I'll take a look at it soon. This is great news and I'm very happy you were willing to take time to share it with me. Happy Holidays!
RexinMinn

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:16 am

RexinMinn wrote:To make matters even more interesting, when I create a doc in Pages and italicize and boldface certain words, then copy/paste the same doc into Appleworks, the italics and bolds go away. And it isn't my fault!

Pages will use bold and italics only if these are available as separate fonts. AppleWorks generates these accents from the original font (if necessary). This may be at the root of the described problem.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo