Title page for data file print out

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Title page for data file print out

Postby roboklotz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:55 pm

In helping my wife organize a list of club members I tried using Appleworks 6 data file. I need to furnish her with print outs of the 95 members showing phone numbers on one, e-mail addresses on another, mailing labels on another, etc. On the general list, I would like to put a title above the first entry and an index of how life members are designated, etc. When I try to add a title, I end up with a header on each page. Is there a way to put a title on one page only. Also, one print out will go into their general information book with many pages. Is there a way to place a small line at the bottom of each page including page numbers?

Thank you,
Bob Klotz
(roboklotz)
roboklotz

Re: Title page for data file print out

Postby Barry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:04 pm

roboklotz wrote:In helping my wife organize a list of club members I tried using Appleworks 6 data file. I need to furnish her with print outs of the 95 members showing phone numbers on one, e-mail addresses on another, mailing labels on another, etc. On the general list, I would like to put a title above the first entry and an index of how life members are designated, etc. When I try to add a title, I end up with a header on each page. Is there a way to put a title on one page only. Also, one print out will go into their general information book with many pages. Is there a way to place a small line at the bottom of each page including page numbers?

There are a number of issues here.

AppleWorks db Reports do not provide a way to suppress headers on pages after the first, nor can you generate a report with a title page.

You might be able to generate the lists by copying and pasting to a word processor document. Create a Columnar report Layout containing only the columns you want on the list, Select All and Copy.
Open a word processor document and Paste.
Select All and set custom tabs to line up the columns.
Add your title material above the table just created.

Add a Header (if you want to include column headers at the top of each page) and a Footer (to contain the page number) to the document.

Got to Format > Section and check the Title page box to suppress the header on the first page.

Insert a Section Break after the last record, Format this section to also have a title page, set Headers as Different for this section, and set page numbers to continue from previous section.

Add your title information for this section, then go back to the database.

In the database, create a new Layout for the next (email) list. If there's only the one change from the Phone list, the easiest way to do this is to Duplicate the Phone Layout, Delete the Phone field from the layout, Insert the email field, then move the field and its label into the spaces where the Phone field and label were. Go back to Browse, Select All, Copy, then Paste into your word processor document.

Repeat for as many lists as you want to make.

While you could try using a similar method for the mailing labels, I suspect you'd have a great deal more trouble aligning the items on the word processor page, depending on how you've set up the labels. These would likely be done better straight from a Labels Layout on the database document.

Regards,
Barry

PS: Most of this is from memory, without a direct check of the vocabulary, as I don't have AppleWorks running at the moment. If there are places where you have further questions, don't hesitate to post them.
B
Barry

Re: Title page for data file print out

Postby roboklotz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Thank you, Barry. You confirmed my guess that it wasn't written into the program. I will make do by cut and paste prior to printing.
Bob
roboklotz

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo