AW 6.2.9 -- Crashing When Saving

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW 6.2.9 -- Crashing When Saving

Postby job1970 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:41 pm

I always know where to come for good help!

Hubby has an iMac 10.4
Running AW 6.2.9

He just does his business stuff on the computer and we can't be doing to many changes or it will totally mess him up. I thought he wasn't doing something right --- but, ALAS, it's the program.

AW is crashing every time he his Command/S. I tried pulling down Save .. crashes then, as well. He is using the data base. I thought too many files, so deleted some, but that didn't help, either.

I'm thinking a Preference, maybe? But I'm useless when it comes to the OSX ... had stuff pretty well figured out in OS9! Can't figure out which preferences to dump when I do find them!

Oh well --- I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance here. My knowledge and expertise is -- intermediate, but go carefully!!! I may have to come back and ask whatcha mean!!!

Thanks for any help ya'll can give me! Ya never know, you may save a marriage!
job1970

Re: AW 6.2.9 -- Crashing When Saving

Postby Peggy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

To delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them.

What version of Tiger is he running. The last version is 10.4.11 & I would make sure that he is updated to that. Use Software Update under an administrator account to check.

Whenever you do an update, it's a good idea to do two maintenance tasks, one for the system (Repair Permissions) and one for AppleWorks (delete preferences). (Thanks to Barry for this way to format this very common answer.)

To Repair permissions in 10.4.x, launch Disk Utility, found in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder, click on First Aid, then on Repair Permissions.
Peggy

Postby job1970 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:49 pm

He is running 10.4.11.

I dumped the preferences as explained.

I was able to open one of the data base files, made some changes, saved it ... and closed it .... thinking his world was good again.

Tried to open three other Appleworks files --- and they immediately open and immediately close. So...there are still problems.

Any ideas -- Peggy or anyone?

Thanks!!

jayne
job1970

Postby job1970 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Okay .. I think I have it working.

And, I found my AW 6.2.9 disk.

So, let's give it the "wait and see" --- and I will be back if all else fails.

Thanks!!!!
jayne
job1970

Postby Peggy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:27 am

When you delete the AppleWorks preferences you need to make sure you delete the com.apple.appleworks.plist in the user's Library > Preferences as well as the files in the AppleWorks folder in this same Preferences folder.

Another thought would be a font problem. Those can be quite tricky to track down. That would seem likely with some files working & some not. The ones not working may be using a font the others aren't. If you continue to have problems, you could send me a couple of files, one working & one not, & I'll see if fonts are a problem.
Peggy

Postby job1970 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks, Peggy: He hasn't used it yet ... and I've been jammed with other things. Will print out--go to it this evening and see how things are going.

All else fails, you will be getting some files.

Thanks again!

jayne
job1970

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo