Appleworks Database repair or recover data

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks Database repair or recover data

Postby freedom13 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi,

I am a long term user of the Appleworks database but have hit a problem. After an attempt to save a change I can no longer open the file. Appleworks crashes. Does anyone know if there is a way to repair the database or recover the data, I have a backup but I know there is some data that was recently entered that is not on the backup.

I have upgraded Appleworks to 6.2.9 and have repaired the permissions on the mac which is a Mac Pro OS 10.6.4. There are in excess of 800 records.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Richard
freedom13

Re: Appleworks Database repair or recover data

Postby Peggy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:55 pm

Databases are the most prone to corruption so it is worth always keeping a current backup.

You might be able to recover the text of database by opening it in a text editor. Always do this on a copy! You will always get a lot of "garbage" text before & after the true data, but it is an option. I changed/added the extension of an AppleWorks database to .txt & I could then open it in TextEdit & Numbers. Actually, Numbers gave me the best result.

Perhaps easier, would be to post your problem in Apple's AppleWorks forum. A user there, Yvan Koenig, has been successful in recovering data from corrupt files. No guarantees, of course, but worth a try.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo