Scale By Percent doesn't work OS X 10.6.4 MBP i7

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Scale By Percent doesn't work OS X 10.6.4 MBP i7

Postby gooddog » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:02 am

MBP Mid 2010 17" OS 10.6.4 maxed out configuration, two partitions.

Appleworks 2.2.9

Paint will not scale objects by percent: I fill percent fields with, say, 150 both ways and the throbbing button ignores my click.
When relaunch AW and open a paint page, drag a jpeg onto the page, open transform and by percent, it will do it, but only once. Any other images dragged onto that page will get marching ants but the resize by percents button will not respond. I don't see handles either. Guessing at the handle location and using RESIZE will work strangely ... seems to ignore but when I click on the image, the resize appears, with ants, over the original image and acts like the erase tool on the original image.

In DRAW, only the manual resize works and handles show. But percent does not work.

I have already done com file delete and plist delete in the folder per Peggy, after repairing permissions and restarting laptop.

I have uninstalled AW (using the Applications disc from an original flat-panel G4 igloo iMac)
and reinstalled AW 6.2.2 then updated to AW 6.2.9 then did Peggy's Permission repair followed by plist and com file deletes and restart and relaunch.

BTW my System Preferences panes don't render with their menu bar and traffic light buttons ( I get only the title of a pref panel and the <> buttons) until I click outside of the pane ... thought that info might give a clue.

HELP !!!!!http://www.awug.org/community/posting.php?mode=edit&f=2&p=11250#

---gooddog
gooddog

Re: Scale By Percent doesn't work OS X 10.6.4 MBP i7

Postby Peggy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:28 am

Scale by percent is one thing that is now broken with OS X 10.6.4. With each update of OS X, AppleWorks becomes more & more "flakey." Long-time AppleWorks users are left with a couple of choices - continue to use an older OS in order to use AppleWorks or find replacement software.

Finding replacements for all of AppleWorks components is difficult. iWork covers a lot, but not draw, paint or database. For paint I like GraphicConverter which does do scale by percent.

Keeping an older OS is not necessarily difficult. You could get or keep an older Mac or keep a copy of an older OS on an external drive & boot into it when needed.
Peggy

Postby gooddog » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Peggy,

I am keeping an external drive by Apricorn (Aegis) and doing what you suggest :(
I can still scale with handles, in a draw page, then drag the scaled image onto the paint page.
Paint won't scale with % nor with handles either (handles do not appear.

I guess I'll keep that drive at SnowLeopard...glad I didn't blow $60 on another AW6 disc --- the one I had bought never did install well so I use the Applications disk from my old iMac.

Can you tell me more about GraphicConverter? I have an old copy.
But, will it let me annotate on the fly as I project the page on the wall for my math students where I teach. I use AW as a chalkboard that shows the pencil (such as it is) writing and solving equations, the lasso grabbing variables and moving them to other places on the equation, color coded text and graph paper with tinted overlapping zones on it, etc.

Can GC do this well ? And how do I update my old one?

Thanks a million!

---h
gooddog

Postby Peggy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:47 pm

GraphicConverter is very reasonably priced shareware, about $35 US. Give it a try & buy it if you think it's worth it. The author, Thorsten Lemke, is very responsive to any e-mails.

It's too bad that he can't make a translator to open AppleWorks draw or paint files. I met him briefly at Macworld a few years ago & asked him. He said the problem was getting the code, I think.
Peggy

Postby gooddog » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Peggy wrote:Scale by percent is one thing that is now broken with OS X 10.6.4. With each update of OS X, AppleWorks becomes more & more "flakey." Long-time AppleWorks users are left with a couple of choices - continue to use an older OS in order to use AppleWorks or find replacement software.

Finding replacements for all of AppleWorks components is difficult. iWork covers a lot, but not draw, paint or database. For paint I like GraphicConverter which does do scale by percent.

Keeping an older OS is not necessarily difficult. You could get or keep an older Mac or keep a copy of an older OS on an external drive & boot into it when needed.

*********************************************************************************************

Guess what !!!!!!!!!

I repaired permissions ( could swear I had done this several times before) and the features started working fine.

I guess I will keep my external work-place Apricorn Aegis drives frozen at 10.6.x and hope my brand new 17" MBP will last 9 years to my retirement.

-------- gd
gooddog

Postby gooddog » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 pm

THE REPAIR PERMISSIONS DID NOT CONTINUE TO WORK --- HOWEVER :)

I am now on OS X 10.6.8 and I have discovered something great: A WORKAROUND !!!
:D :D :D

It turns out that, when using PAINT or DRAW, if I drag and drop a jpeg or other image onto the work area,DIRECTLY FROM THE DESKTOP, it breaks the "Resize by Percent" function as well as the "Paint Mode" (opaque, tint, etc), and some other functions.

HOWEVER, if I drag and drop the jpeg or other image, FROM A FOLDER on the desk top : NOTHING BREAKS !!!

MY SYSTEM: MacbookPro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 , 17" matte screen, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 500 GB HDD, SnowLeopard 10.6.8
gooddog

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo