OMGoodness -- Help with Data Base formatting

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

OMGoodness -- Help with Data Base formatting

Postby job1970 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:22 pm

I used to keep tons of financial records through the Appleworks data base. Haven't used them for years. Figured I could go back and reconstruct .. but alas --- I'M HAVING A HORRIBLE time trying to figure out how to configure it so I can add a "Total Expenses" box, then have it summarize (or total) the entire expenses in a certain account (sorted by account). I will want a

I have no clue what I am doing wrong, but I'm hoping there is someone around on Sunday who can help be before I pull all my hair out!!!

Thanks!!!
job1970

Re: OMGoodness -- Help with Data Base formatting

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:33 pm

job1970 wrote: I'M HAVING A HORRIBLE time trying to figure out how to configure it so I can add a "Total Expenses" box, then have it summarize (or total) the entire expenses in a certain account (sorted by account).

I'm guessing you've missed only one step, but just in case, here's a full review.

assumptions:
Expenses are in a Number type field names 'Expenses'
Accounts are in a Text type field named 'Account'

Show the Layout in which you want to display the subtotals by account.

Do the following in Layout mode (press shift-command-L, or go Layout > Layout)

Create a Summary type field (named 'Expense subtotal') with the formula
=SUM('Expenses")

After defining the new field, click Done to return to layout mode.

Go Layout > Insert Part
Insert a Subsummary when sorted by... part, and choose Account as the field to be sorted to trigger the summary.

Go Layout > Insert field, choose your new summary type field, click Insert.

In layout mode, select the new field and its label and drag them into the new Subsummary part.

Readjust the Body boundary and Subsummary boundary.

Press shift-command-B (or go Layout > Browse) to return to Browse mode.

(Here's the step I think you missed—mostly because I missed it myself.) ;-)

Press shift-command-P (or go Window > Page View) to toggle Page View on.

Press command-J (or go Organize > Sort) to open the sort dialogue.

Move the Account field name from the field list to the sort list.

Click OK.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: OMGoodness -- Help with Data Base formatting

Postby job1970 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm

DANG --- It was the PAGE VIEW! I was doing it correctly all along. In the meantime, I tried to learn my older version of Filemaker Pro -- and got it there. But actually, for what I want, Filemaker Pro (older version) is more cumbersome than the Appleworks DataBase.

PAGE VIEW -- I betcha that's something I don't forget for awhile! (At least I hope I don't!). It's been sooo long since I have used this data base for accounting set-ups! And, as much as I used to use it (monthly for several years), I don't know why I forgot it now. (Bet it doesn't have a single thing to do with age!

Thanks sooo very much, Barry!

jayne
job1970

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo