Not Saving on Spreadsheet

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Not Saving on Spreadsheet

Postby RexinMinn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 pm

I fear I may have to abandon my AW spreadsheet function once and for all. Working on a Mac OSX (10.5.8), I did an AW upgrade about six months ago, but it's still acting up. I was adding data to a decent-sized spreadsheet this morning, finishing up my work this afternoon around 3 p.m., only to find that it didn't save a thing I'd added all day. Thankfully I had backed up the spreadsheet onto Numbers so I still had all the data. I CANNOT STAND NUMBERS!! If anyone has any ideas why my AW may be acting so weird, please let me know. This is certainly NOT the first time this has happened (I enter data rather prolifically about three times a year, and this happens to be one of those times), so I wonder if I'm not cleaning/maintaining my system adequately (though i do run software for this purpose occasionally). Maybe I should be using MacKeeper. I do NOT want to go to Number for their spreadsheet function. I can't abide by it and will purchase something different if I have to (not sure what just yet). So I'm open to suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated, of course. I've always found this to be a useful forum. Thanks to all who lend a hand to keep it going!
RexinMinn

Re: Not Saving on Spreadsheet

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm

I was having some serious problems trying to read older ClarisWorks documents with AppleWorks 6.2.9. Kept getting the message "An I/O error..." Wound up having to go back to AppleWorks 6.2.4. I'm not sure what all the 6.2.9 update was supposed to fix but it broke the ability to read older ClarisWorks documents. Might be worth a try to downgrade to 6.2.4. To downgrade I had to reinstall AppleWorks from a CD.
Tim
AWUG/iWUG Webmaster
Tim

Postby RexinMinn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks, Tim.

That's a great suggestion.
Once you did the downgrade, did things improve?

Rex
RexinMinn

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 am

Well, downgrading fixed the particular problem of being able to read older ClarisWorks documents but that's all I was after. I don't know if downgrading might break something else.

Once I was able to at least read the older files (mostly database documents) I exported them to a text file for importing into another database.

Another solution I've been playing with is running AppleWorks inside a virtual Classic environment on a late model Intel Mac <http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/>. Not for the faint of heart but it is one other possibility. Virtual machines are kinda neat to play with.

For a real "blast from the past" another virtual machine is "Sweet 16" <http://www.sheppyware.net/software-mac/sweet16/> that allows you to run AppleWorks for the ][e in an Apple ][ environment on a late model Mac. Runs in HYPER-SPEED too. :D
Tim
AWUG/iWUG Webmaster
Tim

Postby RexinMinn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 am

You're a little bit above my pay-grade on those options, Tim, but thank you for sharing. One never knows. Looks like I'll be adapting to Numbers. I may experiment with taking the work I do in an AW spreadsheet and simply pasting it into a new doc if I run into the problem again, the "unsave" one. This was strange because after clicking the red button, a window came up asking me if I wanted to save the doc. I had already saved it under File, as usual, so why this window came up was weird. I obviously clicked yes, and the window was gone. When I re-opened the file to check on it, all my day's work was gone. Thankfully I was ahead of the curve for a change and had saved it into Numbers already, suspecting something was up because of what happened to an earlier doc in AW that I'd had the same problem with, saving it, getting the warning window, then finding out it never did save. Ouch.
RexinMinn

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo