AppleWorks Files opened with Pages, and blank pages in PDF's

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AppleWorks Files opened with Pages, and blank pages in PDF's

Postby NY2LA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I have numerous AppleWorks files created about ten years ago, when I was using a Blueberry iMac purchased in the summer of 2000. AppleWorks 6 came pre-installed on that computer, and I updated it to AppleWorks 6.2.4 in 2002. I used Postscript fonts when creating those documents.

Those old AppleWorks files are now on my MacBook Pro, on which I am still using OS version 10.4.11. I want to make them all into PDF's, and am willing to do it by hand, one at a time. They default to opening with Pages via double clicking. However, when I make a PDF from that point, the result is a PDF with blank pages.

In Pages, Format. . . Fonts . . . Show Fonts seems to be pointing to a folder called FontCollections in the Library folder in my Home folder. Everything in that folder shows up with a Bridge Collection file icon. But my Postscript fonts are in a different folder, also in the Library folder in my Home folder, called Fonts.

How do I get Pages to access my Postscript fonts? Or otherwise solve the problem of getting PDF's with blank pages?

P.S. I may also try installing AppleWorks on my MacBook Pro. I may discuss that in a different thread.
NY2LA

Re: AppleWorks Files opened with Pages, and blank pages in P

Postby NY2LA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 pm

P.P.S. The Postscript fonts are Postscript Type 1 outline fonts, most from 1993.
NY2LA

Postby NY2LA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:44 pm

I've discovered that if I select all and copy the text in the AppleWorks document opened with Pages, and paste into a new Pages document, and then save as a PDF from that new document, the resulting PDF is okay. So whatever is blocking the PDF creation the first time around, is removed after copying and pasting into the second Pages document.

So this is a workaround. However, I think Pages is doing font substitution. I want to use the original Postscript fonts.
NY2LA

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 am

NY2LA wrote:I've discovered that if I select all and copy the text in the AppleWorks document opened with Pages, and paste into a new Pages document, and then save as a PDF from that new document, the resulting PDF is okay. So whatever is blocking the PDF creation the first time around, is removed after copying and pasting into the second Pages document.

So this is a workaround. However, I think Pages is doing font substitution. I want to use the original Postscript fonts.

Hmm, kinda weird. Just a quick guess but is the text in the first Pages document set to white on white?
Tim
AWUG/iWUG Webmaster
Tim

Postby NY2LA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Tim wrote:Hmm, kinda weird. Just a quick guess but is the text in the first Pages document set to white on white?

No, they are not set to white on white. I am now planning to investigate whether the problem is due to my not having the Postscript screen fonts properly installed. I found this:

Can't get Postscript fonts to load
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... dID=252688
NY2LA

Postby NY2LA » Sat May 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Since my last post on this thread, I spent several days reading Take Control of Fonts in Mac OS X (1.0.1) by Sharon Zardetto Aker. Turns out, all of my Postscript Type 1 outline and printer fonts are successfully installed and being used. Among other things, I found out that I could see a list of all of them in System Profiler, and they are all valid, enabled, and embeddable, etc.

AND, I finally installed AppleWorks 6.2.4, from a CD purchased from HardCore Mac. Now there is no problem saving the old Appleworks documents as PDF's, and embedding the Postscript Type 1 fonts in the PDF.

The problem with Pages remains unresolved. I don't need to solve it now, but I am still curious.
NY2LA

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo