Copying AW from old iMac to MacBook Pro

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Copying AW from old iMac to MacBook Pro

Postby NY2LA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 pm

I read the thread "Installing AW on a new IMac", started by debeals on Thu Dec 10, 2009. Some of the information provided on that thread may be helpful to me. But my circumstances are a little different, so I've decided to start this new topic.

AppleWorks 6 came pre-installed on a Blueberry iMac (pre-Intel) that I purchased in the summer of 2000. I updated it to AppleWorks 6.2.4 in September 2002. I created numerous AppleWorks files when I was using that iMac. The latest operating system that I installed on that iMac is a version of OS 9. I still have that computer, though I don't use it now.

I am now using a MacBook Pro (an Intel Mac) purchased in 2006, with OS 10.4.11 (for a little while longer.) I have the old AppleWorks documents on this computer, but have never installed AppleWorks on it. I am thinking of putting AppleWorks on this computer for the first time, probably not for creating new documents, but to open the old AppleWorks documents. (They now default to opening with Pages.)

So could I copy AppleWorks 6.2.4 from the old iMac to the MacBook Pro? Was it a Universal version? I'd have to copy it to a USB thumb drive.
NY2LA

Re: Copying AW from old iMac to MacBook Pro

Postby Peggy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 pm

AppleWorks 6 became OS X-compatible (carbonized, not universal binary) with version 6.2. So you can copy the whole AppleWorks 6 folder from Applications on the old iMac to the Applications folder on your MacBook Pro. Make sure the sub-folders are included. If you have updated it to 6.2.3/6.2.4 (the first being the OS 8/9 version, the second the OS X version) you don't have to do any more updating.

I recommend checking to see if it will work as it should & then burning the whole folder to a CD for a backup should you ever need it. Then update to 6.2.9 only if you will NEVER have a need to open any ClarisWorks 4 or earlier files.

To stay within the Apple software license, which is still valid, you should remove the copy from the old iMac.
Peggy

Postby NY2LA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks, Peggy. So it looks like I could have saved some money. But I decided to go ahead and purchase AppleWorks on an Apple CD from hardcoremac.com. (I've already placed the order). Their ad says:

"This is the FULL VERSION of AppleWorks 6 on an Apple CD which originally came bundled with certain Macs. It can be installed on any Mac which meets the minimum system requirements. It installs version 6.2.3 for OS 8 & 9 users, and version 6.2.4 for OS X users. In can be updated to the latest version (6.2.9) for free at apple.com. This item does not ship in retail packaging. You will receive a factory-original CD only. Documentation is included on the CD in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format."
http://hardcoremac.stores.yahoo.net/appleworks62.html

In email correspondence, their customer service said, "It was bundled with eMac computers."

So I guess one could argue I am paying for another license -- though perhaps Apple might not think so?

Thanks for the heads up about 6.2.9 and ClarisWorks. I think I'll skip the update.
NY2LA

Postby Peggy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 am

Not that it matters, but I consider it another license. Way back when AppleWorks came on a separate installer CD with the eMac, iMac & iBook & I'm guessing that is what Hardcore Mac is selling. I've "juggled" AppleWorks licenses for years. I have two copies I bought retail & one each that came with a G4 iMac & an original G4 Mac mini.
Peggy

Postby NY2LA » Sat May 07, 2011 9:19 pm

It took me this long to finally install AppleWorks from the CD, due to a malfunctioning optical disk drive on my MacBook Pro. Today, I finally got someone to use target disk mode from their Apple computer in order to mount the CD and install AppleWorks.

Installation of AppleWorks was successful. Also, a problem that I discussed in my other post (AppleWorks Files opened with Pages, and blank pages in PDF's) is not an issue when using AppleWorks.
NY2LA

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo