Appleworks 6.04

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks 6.04

Postby SharonSTurner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I have a new iMac 10.6.4. I have Appleworks 6.04. I have Rosetta installed on 10.6.4. I cannot download Appleworks 6.04. The message says the Classic environment is no longer supported. What do I do? I also have downloaded Appleworks 6.2.9 updater but it will not install either.
SharonSTurner

Re: Appleworks 6.04

Postby Barry » Tue May 10, 2011 2:04 am

SharonSTurner wrote:I have a new iMac 10.6.4. I have Appleworks 6.04. I have Rosetta installed on 10.6.4. I cannot download Appleworks 6.04. The message says the Classic environment is no longer supported. What do I do? I also have downloaded Appleworks 6.2.9 updater but it will not install either.

Hi Sharon,
I suspect you mean you cannot install AppleWorks 6.0.4 from the installer disk.
AW 6.0.4 is a Mac OS 9 and earlier application, as is the installer application on the disk that this version of AppleWorks came on. Those require either a Mac that will startup in OS 9 (or earlier) or that will run OS 9 in the Classic environment. Classic support was dropped with Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard).

The AW 6.2.9 updater is, as the name states, an updater. It can be used only to update (in this case, replace) an already installed earlier version of AW 6.

If you still have a Mac with an installed copy of AppleWorks, you may be able to move that to your new iMac. Copy the entire AppleWorks 6 folder to a CD or USB flash drive, then copy it from there to the Applications folder on your iMac. Then try running the updater. If this is successful, remember that the AppleWorks User Licence is a single user. single computer licence. To stay within its terms, you should delete the copy of AppleWorks from the older machine.

If that's not successful, make a note of any error messages you see during the update attempt, and repost here.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo