Database Issue

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database Issue

Postby Sliphorn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 am

I added a field to an existing AW database doc. I cannot get the cursor to show up in it but when I type the wrong thing (a letter in this number field), I get an alert saying only numbers can be used. I tried changing from a number field to a text field but get the same results. What is going on?

I have OS 10.6.8 and the last update of AW 6.2.9.

Thank you.
Sliphorn

Re: Database Issue

Postby Barry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi Sliphorn,

Start with the usual suspects—corrupted preferences.

Quit AppleWorks
Go to yourname > Library > Preferences
• Locate and delete the file com.apple.appleworks,plist
• Locate and open the folder AppleWorks.
   • Delete both cache files and the AppleWorks 6 Preferences file found in this folder.
Relaunch AppleWorks.

Beyond that, you might also do the following:

Updating to Mac OS X v10.6.8 via the incremental updates offered through Software Update left several uncorrected issues. The solution offered in other threads (for other issues, some of them pertaining to AppleWorks) is to run the Combo updater, available here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.apple.com%2Fkb%2FDL1399&answerid=16777223&src=support_site.downloads.search

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Sliphorn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 am

Barry:

Thanks for the reply. I found and deleted the first item but could not find the cache or preferences in the AW folder. Are they hiding somewhere in it?

Also, after the first step, I still could not type in the db field.

Thanks.
Sliphorn

Postby Peggy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:26 pm

The AppleWorks folder Barry is referring to is in the same place as the .plist - HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences.
Peggy

Postby Sliphorn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:42 pm

I deleted all these files, relaunched AW and got the same result. I can click on a cell in the field and, if I type the wrong thing (a letter in this number field), I get a warning about what I can enter. Apparently it takes the info blindly but does not show me. I appreciate the help and hope that someone can rectify this.

Thanks.
Sliphorn

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo