Last Best Operating System For AppleWorks

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Last Best Operating System For AppleWorks

Postby DrewSpangler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm

I have to avoid the cost of a new computer.
I also have to make ready for worse case scenario.

Should I buy (can I buy) the disk-installer for the operating system that supports my AppleWorks on a new Mac to have at least THAT to carry me over until I can afford the new technology?

Can you please tell me what and where with exact terms that I will not confuse if it should appear for sale with different vocabulary descriptions.

I have 10.4.11 with classic and that won’t run on a new computer.
What am I looking for so I can keep going for a while longer if I have to buy one on credit?

I have already passed up the refurbished offers as to much. I want to just cover myself on the cost of the operating system. How much? Thank you, Drew
DrewSpangler

Re: Last Best Operating System For AppleWorks

Postby Barry » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:25 am

Drew,

AppleWorks was written to run on a PPC processor. To run on any Mac with an intel processor, AppleWorks requires Rosetta, software that interprets PPC calls to the processor into calls that are recognized by the intel processor.

Rosetta is supplied with Mac OS X v10.4.x (what you're running now), v10.5.x (Leopard) and v10.6.x (Snow Leopard). Rosetta is installed only on demand, either through your instruction to include it in the original instruction, or later when you try to run a PPC application.

Rosetta is NOT supplied with Mac OS X v10.7.x (Lion), NOR is it supported in Lion. AppleWorks will NOT run in Lion, nor will any other PPC application ported to OS X in the same manner as was AppleWorks.

So your choices of OS X versions that will let you run AppleWorks are Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard, and your choice of machine is limited to one that originally came with one of these operating systems installed.

The other choice, of course is to abandon AppleWorks. In considering that choice, you'd do well to read Roger Wilmut's article http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/aw/page1.html.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo