opening power PC apps in 10.7 on intel mac

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

opening power PC apps in 10.7 on intel mac

Postby Adrian » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:33 am

This problem must have occurred many times, but I have only just become aware of it when trying to open two old text files in Appleworks 6 on my intel iMac running 10.7. I get the message 'PowerPC applications are no longer supported'. I still have Appleworks 6 on the Mac, but cannot open it as I get the same message. I use Pages now.
I really do need to access the documents as I need to edit them - I can open them on an old PowerPC Mac but I need to merge them with new stuff to create a book. Short of transferring the whole project to the old Mac, is there anything I can do.
I understand that Rosetta used to deal with this problem but is no longer part of the OS?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Adrian
Adrian

Re: opening power PC apps in 10.7 on intel mac

Postby Peggy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:03 pm

You cannot run PPC apps in Lion, period.

The iWork applications - Keynote, Pages & Numbers - can only open AppleWorks 6 presentation, word processing & spreadsheet documents, respectively. They will not open any other type of AppleWorks 6 files or any AppleWorks 5 or any version of ClarisWorks files. Your best option for files that the iWork apps can't open is to use AppleWorks on a Mac running Snow Leopard or earlier & saving/exporting the files to other formats.
Peggy

Re: opening power PC apps in 10.7 on intel mac

Postby JohnJohnD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Actually, you can run PPC apps on 10.7, using the free VirtualBox emulator. You can run VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org) in 10.7, then virtualize an older OS to run PPC apps inside the virtualized environment.

It's an indirect method and takes a little more time to set up, but it works. :)
JohnJohnD

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo