AW DataBase Conversion

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW DataBase Conversion

Postby Dean M Aschenbrenner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:12 am

I'm posting for another:Jean Cheesman <[email protected]>

Comment to her but please cc to me: [email protected]

thanks.

Dean,

I'm not sure how to post something on the ClarisWorks List. Could you please post it for me? Thank you. This is what I want to post:

Hope someone here has some answers for me. I’m trying to save AppleWorks 5 files from a PowerBook G4, that’s on its last legs, running OS 10.4.11. Someone just gave me a MacBook Pro, probably from about 2011 and running OS 10.6.8. That won’t run my AW, so need to find an answer. I’ve converted a lot of AW word processing docs to an old version of Word that was on the PB when I bought it. I’ve never used Word, but find it quick and easy to convert those. The problem is: what can I do with the AW databases. Everything I own or do is on those, including a huge collection of music and other collectibles. Someone said I might be able to put those in Excel, but I’ve never used Excel at all. Any better ideas? I have limited time and practically no money to invest in more software. I hate to give up AW, but evidently no one has invented anything to replace it. And, it was the first thing I Iearned on a computer in 1988—on an Apple IIe! And, I’m 89, so don’t know which of us is older, the computer or I? I will be very grateful for any help anyone can give.

Jean in Santa Barbara
Dean M Aschenbrenner

Re: AW DataBase Conversion

Postby Peggy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am

Please pass this reply on.

Since the new Mac is running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, I think the best option is to purchase a copy of AppleWorks 6 from Amazon.com or eBay. It's an inexpensive solution. The free, open source LibreOffice can open most AppleWorks & ClarisWorks files but databases are the most problematic.
Peggy

Re: AW DataBase Conversion

Postby Dean M Aschenbrenner » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks, Peggy. I shall pass it on. I've been trying to help her also.
Dean M Aschenbrenner

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo